Nutrition & Diet B12 deficiency and psychosis

Some of it can be absorbed directly through the tongue, I believe. I would think the longer you can hold it, the more is absorbed, but maybe there is a limit, so maybe more than 30 seconds isn't going to do you any good? Just guessing, really.

From Healthline :

"Your healthcare provider usually orders sublingual or buccal medications when there is a need for the medication to be absorbed rapidly. This type of medication may also be ordered if the effects will be lessened during the digestion process. The cheek and the area under the tongue have a lot of capillaries, or tiny blood vessels. This means that the medication can be absorbed directly into the bloodstream without needing to go through your digestive system."

Reactions: ledboots
Ahhhhh, very interesting. I was overlooking the whole digestion aspect of it. :)

Ahhhhh, very interesting. I was overlooking the whole digestion aspect of it. :)
Yes, part of the issue is that to be absorbed efficiently through the digestive system, it has to make it through the acidic stomach all the way to the small intestine. So definitely old coots like us have to be particularly careful. ;)

Under the tongue is the way to go. Some people, vegan or omni, need injections as they lack the substance (intrinsic factor) needed to digest B12, but that is the exception.

And once a year should be often enough for vegans to get our levels checked unless they're abnormal. Mine was low a few years ago, so I take some yummy cherry sublingual tabs a few times a week and my levels were quickly normal.

I think vitamin D should be tested yearly in everyone as well, since nearly everyone is at risk for its deficiency.

Reactions: thefadedone