Are You Eating Plastic in your Bread?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I apologize if there's already a thread on this.

Hundreds of foods found to contain hazardous industrial plastics chemical: report

By Reuters
Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:08 EST
By Carey Gillam

(Reuters) – Nearly 500 foods found on grocery store shelves in the United States, including many foods labeled as “healthy,” contain a potentially hazardous industrial plastics chemical, according to a report issued Thursday by a health research and advocacy group.

Azodicarbonamide, also known as ADA, was found as an ingredient in breads, bagels, tortillas, hamburger and hot dog buns, pizza, pastries, and other food products, according to a report by the Environmental Working Group, based in Washington.

Some consumer groups have called for the removal of azodicarbonamide from use in foods. Fast food chain Subway said earlier this month that it was removing the chemical from its products, but stated that ADA is a safe and widely used ingredient for many foods.

Here's the full list of foods. I think I've bought a few of the bread products. http://www.ewg.org/research/nearly-500-ways-make-yoga-mat-sandwich#brandtable

Yeah, seriously, I was planning to get a sub from them when I read about it. I have a gift card to use up. Looks like it will have to wait a while longer. Gah.

I used to eat those veggie subs. The thing that bums me out the most is that this plastic is excreted in breast milk, so I feel like I poisoned my kids. Better by a million times than artificial infant milk, but still it is depressing.

I used to eat those veggie subs. The thing that bums me out the most is that this plastic is excreted in breast milk, so I feel like I poisoned my kids. Better by a million times than artificial infant milk, but still it is depressing.

Tell us more !:(

Tell us more !:(
It came up at work, we were talking about the Subway thing, and one of the midwives showed us a study done of breast milk. Many samples contained this plastic stuff, in very small amounts. Toxins can be excreted in the fat of mother's milk, and though it is still *far* safer and healthier for babies than the cow or soy alternatives, it is really depressing that corporate greed has even tainted the very thing that sustains our species in infanthood, while we are growing and developing so rapidly.

It came up at work, we were talking about the Subway thing, and one of the midwives showed us a study done of breast milk. Many samples contained this plastic stuff, in very small amounts. Toxins can be excreted in the fat of mother's milk, and though it is still *far* safer and healthier for babies than the cow or soy alternatives, it is really depressing that corporate greed has even tainted the very thing that sustains our species in infanthood, while we are growing and developing so rapidly.

Hopefully mums that breast feeding are trying to have a healthy natural diet. Anyway, human milk is the best food for a baby and furthermore feeding a baby soya milk is dangerous.

Reactions: ledboots