Are there pretzels with potassium chloride

kylefoley76

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I always loved salt, so much so that I would even eat without food. I was probably eating a teaspoon of it a day. I then found out that it isn't good for you. I then tried potassium chloride and love the stuff. I can't figure out why this stuff is not more popular. They don't even sell it at my Sprouts or Walmart. In any case, has anyone heard of pretzels made with potassium chloride? I did a google search and couldn't find anything.

Maybe it's not more popular because it is toxic depending on your intake.

If you google it the info pops up pretty quickly.

I will have a small sprinkle of salt and not worry about it.

As Dr McDougall suggests, when you cook your food, don't add salt, when you serve your food then put a small sprinkle on top so that you taste it as you eat.

Emma JC

I can't figure out why this stuff is not more popular.

Potassium Chloride is a toxic chemical, but can be tolerated in small amounts when consumed in or on foods.

My question is why would you want to consume this toxic chemical? I'd say this might be the reason it's not more popular...at least as a food flavour enhancer. However, it would seem Potassium Chloride is quite popular when used in lethal injections to induce cardiac arrest. Go figure! I guess it's more popular than you thought.

Why would you want this on your pretzels, anyways? I don't care how good it tastes, this would be enough for me to avoid it like the plague. In this case, you might actually be better off with MSG. I'm not a chemist or nutritionist, but I'd have to think MSG is a better option for that umami flavour enhancer you seek, and not that I want either on my pretzels.

Reactions: Emma JC
My question is why would you want to consume this toxic chemical?

You have to eat 190 g of it for it to be toxic whereas table salt you have to eat 300 g. Seeing as I only eat .25 g per day, that is not toxic. I don't understand why eating 800 times my daily intake is considered toxic whereas 1200 times is not. Strange place to draw the line. I think table salt is more toxic than potassium chloride because there is a direct relationship between high sodium intake and blood pressure.