Are there more vegan options at standard restaurants?

ewomack

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
I have fairly different eating habits from most of my family, but I'm finding that even sports bars and places that sell shredded pork as a specialty have started including vegetarian/vegan options on their menus. As such, over the past five years or so, I haven't had a lot of problem not eating meat when eating at such meat-based establishments. It happened again tonight. We went to a place with TVs splayed every few feet along the walls, lots of beer ads, and an atmosphere that just screamed "thou shalt eat meat here!!" Yet they had a Beyond Burger on the menu. So I ate no animals yet again.

Are other people experiencing this? Perhaps it's regional? Have even "standard" restaurants at least tossed a branch out to non-meat eaters?

I'm not sure. From my experience here in Australia, veg*n options are more available than say 20 years ago. It is generally possible to find a veg*n option at most restaurants. But I feel that the change has sort of plateaued. About 5 years ago there was a real sense that veg*n options were really on the rise, but then it seemed to stop. My gut feeling is that the animal ag industry has been very successful at pushing back with campaigns to encourage people that eating animals is actually best for health and the planet.

Reactions: Lou
I'm actually seeing fewer. For a while, it seemed like you could count on most restaurants to have one or two options at the very least.

I thought it might be a trend that would solidify into "normalcy".

Now, places seem to be eliminating or cutting back veggie options, and I'm in the habit of checking menus online before I go.

Many restaurants reduced the size of their menus (overall) during the height of COVID, and for whatever reason, chose not to bring the veggie items back.

I'm actually seeing fewer. For a while, it seemed like you could count on most restaurants to have one or two options at the very least.

I thought it might be a trend that would solidify into "normalcy".

Now, places seem to be eliminating or cutting back veggie options, and I'm in the habit of checking menus online before I go.

Many restaurants reduced the size of their menus (overall) during the height of COVID, and for whatever reason, chose not to bring the veggie items back.
I'm finding this as well, at least in my area of Connecticut. The one vegan place in my town closed recently, which was a bummer. It's very, shall I say, traditional here. My friend and I went to a sports bar right outside Hartford after seeing the Van Gogh exhibit, and they didn't even have a veggie burger on the menu. I got them to make me a nice veggie wrap, though, which worked out really well. And I had fries and chips and salsa.

Last edited:
So, a real-time update...

I went to Panera yesterday and ordered the Baja bowl (a grain and bean dish with various veggies and sauces.

The women behind the counter read our order back to me and she said "Baja bowl with chicken" :eek:

The last time I ordered the Baja bowl, chicken was an optional add-on that costs extra.

Now, by default, it comes with chicken. (...and one fixed price)

Sure, I could ask for the chicken to be removed, but no way in Hell am I going to pay for something I'm not going to eat...

Sure, I could ask for the chicken to be removed, but no way in Hell am I going to pay for something I'm not going to eat...

I felt the same way at Subway, where a Veggie Delight is the same price as the ham and cheese and has all the same veggies as the ham and cheese.

I went to a Ramen place and the vegan one was the same price as the chicken one. but it had tofu.

Reactions: beancounter
Well not down here, but it’s getting better.
For what it’s worth I ask the waiters the name of the chef then walk out to the kitchen and politely ask my for requirements.
Never had any problems ,they seem to enjoy the interaction with the customers and I have come across a few chefs that are vegetarian themselves.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
A lot of chain restaurants are individually owned, so you can't always be sure what's on the menu in one is on the menu on another.

For example, some Subway restaurants have a veggie patty, some don't. Some Chilis Restaurants offer a black bean burger, and some don't.

Reactions: KLS52
Well not down here, but it’s getting better.
For what it’s worth I ask the waiters the name of the chef then walk out to the kitchen and politely ask my for requirements.
Never had any problems ,they seem to enjoy the interaction with the customers and I have come across a few chefs that are vegetarian themselves.
I have found that most places that aren't chains will work me, and some even consider it a challenge to come up with something tasty. I was in Vegas at a restaurant with a table full of people, and there wasn't much at all for me on the menu, so I asked the server if I could get a pasta dish with no dairy/meat, lots of veggies and no mushrooms. A little while later, the chef came to our table to speak with me, and we worked out a delicious pasta primavera tossed in a nice garlic/pepper infused olive oil. He was very proud of his dish, and I told him he should consider putting it on the menu. :)

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Blues