Are products made from Melamine safe?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Melamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a serving tray being sold on Amazon I'm thinking of buying, but it's made from Melamine. I'm hesitating. Am I being too paranoid? Are kitchen items made from Melamine generally safe? Would Melamine be risky to one 's health only if it's added directly to food, or is there some risk of Melamine "leaching" into food?

Last edited:
There are also melamine cups and plates available, and according to this link that also should be safe.

The health problems associated with melamine in food obviously arose from some unscrupulous manufacturers who directly added melamine to food products for humans and animals in order to fool protein tests, who would count the melamine as protein due to its nitrogen content :mad:

There's no link showing up for me, Amy.
me neither. Amazon posts don't show up. I just quote the post* and you can see the code, which I just google, and it shows the flowery trays.

* you see [M EDIA=amazon ]B00DU4MTTI[/MEDIA ]

The melamine issue came to mind the other day when I wanted to buy some vegan spring rolls that were manufactured in China. I ended up getting them, but I'm nervous every time I eat any and wonder if I'm poisoning myself.
If I end up dying suddenly from kidney failure, blame it on the spring rolls. :p

The melamine issue came to mind the other day when I wanted to buy some vegan spring rolls that were manufactured in China. I ended up getting them, but I'm nervous every time I eat any and wonder if I'm poisoning myself.
If I end up dying suddenly from kidney failure, blame it on the spring rolls. :p

:confused: