Anyone else eschew technology?

I'm a techno-gadget lover. I don't have the gadgets I really want (cuz of $$$ and stuff), but I love the gadgets I do have.

I'm hooked on my Android smartphone.
I'm on the computer constantly.

Is anybody watching this Samsung vs Apple thing? They just said on the news it could impact ALL Android products. I am a bit worried as I like Samsung phones and their new tablet is now in jeopardy.

I haven't read any of the detailed stories on the subject, but I was wondering how that part would play out. Their new Note 10 tablet looks pretty sweet, and I could see myself pulling the trigger on that one.

Is anybody watching this Samsung vs Apple thing? They just said on the news it could impact ALL Android products. I am a bit worried as I like Samsung phones and their new tablet is now in jeopardy.

This is funny. Because I have totally not been following whatever you're talking about. On account of how I eschew technology and all that.

A big reason I don't own a smartphone is I hate phones with touchscreens. I do a lot of texting, and touchscreens seem way too temperamental and prone to issues. I'll take my phone with it's push-button keyboard over a touchscreen any day. I do fear the day that I go to replace my phone and find out they don't carry the kind with buttons anymore. I hope that never happens...

Reactions: thefadedone
A big reason I don't own a smartphone is I hate phones with touchscreens. I do a lot of texting, and touchscreens seem way too temperamental and prone to issues. I'll take my phone with it's push-button keyboard over a touchscreen any day. I do fear the day that I go to replace my phone and find out they don't carry the kind with buttons anymore. I hope that never happens...

I share that same fear. I don't want a touchscreen and I don't want to be forced into paying more to go online with my phone.

I keep up with technology only because I may be asked to fix it someday. I don't own a i-anything, have a basic laptop that someone gave me, and a very basic ebook reader (no apps, just books). I can fix just about any of it, but I don't want to be shackled with all of it

I'm not a Luddite per se but I'm finding that the older I get the less inclined I am to be interested in always having the latest technology. At 49 years-old I don't own a cellphone, laptop, microwave oven, iPod, iPhone, iPad or any such thing at all... nor do I belong to any social media sites like Twitter or Facebook. I have a desktop computer and I'm quite happy to have that. Just how weird am I... and are there others here who prefer the written word on paper rather than electronic media?

I'm sort of like this actually, though I'm 23 so it's probably just inherent to me. I do have a laptop rather than a desktop PC for the convenience of relocating it, though as far as I'm concerned that actually limits my keeping up with the newer technologies (primarily graphics). The computer is the one thing I would typically keep fairly updated, because it's basically my do-everything device. Since I don't watch TV, I use this on the occasion that I want to check the news or watch a film, play games, communicate, etc. I don't have a phone, because I don't actually like constantly being available for contact - it's annoying. iThings don't really have much use for me. I bought a 5th gen iPod a few years back but eventually I just stopped using it, so I gave it away. Generally I dislike social networking, and if I do use it I register with a false name, because I don't actually want randoms who know me to look me up. :D

I completely refuse to buy books digitally, but I'm probably just jaded by software and games declaring 'you don't own this, just get to use it unless we say otherwise.' I also don't see much point, unless I was having space issues. It's not exactly hard to read a book.

Eh, idk. I don't get a lot of new technology, usually I wait a while after it released (2 exceptions: Wii and 3ds xl, I got those right after they came out) or I don't get it at all. :p
Got both a desktop and a laptop (both used), a Wii, a Gameboy Advance (got this as a gift), N64, the original ds (not Lite, plus I got it for free), 3ds xl, a basic dvd player, vhs player, a microwave oven, food processor, hand mixer.. had an mp3 player but it broke :/ Also the coffee maker broke too. I don't have a fancy phone, mostly cause I can't afford to have one. xD

I find technology useful and embrace technology that improves my life or makes it easier in some way, but I don't like technology. Like I don't enjoy it for it's own sake. Which is quite unusual, I'm studying physics and everyone thinks I'm some kind of loon, but even though I find the science interesting I'm not interested in technology. Especially phones, tablets, laptops, etc... I have a desk top and a very basic phone (it makes phone calls and texts, that's it!), and if it were up to me we'd still have a very old TV (and even our current one only has freeview, not sky or anything), and I always use mp3 players until they break - whereas most people I know update phones and mp3 players and TVs and things all the time to get the latest things even if they're old one works just fine.

So yes, I like to use technology, but I'm not interested in it and I'm not interested in updating it all the time. I also don't want a smart phone or laptop because I find having communication and work with you all the time quite stressful, it's difficult to relax. Lots of people don't seem to just be able to sit anymore, they must check their phones or tablets or mp3 players and being stimulated 24/7 which I find odd, I like quiet!

^ I often check my phone while in public just to get peace and quiet. (Sometimes I'm not even doing anything other than looking at the screen and swiping around randomly.) Otherwise people keep trying to talk at me. Do not want.

Own:
cellphone, laptop, microwave oven(inherited the microwave from Mom)

Don't own:
iPod, iPhone, iPad or any such i-thing at all

On: Facebook (but hate it)

Not on: Twitter

Prefer paper books to e-books.

Own cheap/"dumb" cellphone because I drive an older vehicle that is liable to break down on the road someplace isolated so I'd need to be able to call AAA, and it is almost impossible to find a payphone nowadays.

My thing is that I am a "technology retainer," for lack of a better expression. For example, when CDs came out in the early to mid '80s, I got a cd player. However, I did NOT throw out my turntable nor my vinyl records. I have a computer and printer, but also retained my electronic typewriter. I still have my landline phone. Etc.

This was written by a friend of mine:

The First Day of School 2012

( The Day After Apple’s American Court Victory Over Samsung )

T’was the night before classes
And all through my facebook
Not a student was silent
Obsessed with their mouse-clicks.

My Wall was ablaze
With “liking ” and “friending”
And email announcements
From facebook unending.

When up through my android
A voice started shaking
T’was Sam, my valet,
Suddenly awaking.

She bid me farewell
In her accent so British,
Now Samsung’s defeated
By lawyers most fit-ish.

Apple’s gold orchards
Will now ever ripen
With billions from Samsung
Bounced-back from its stipends

Awarded to iPhone
By a jury of iFriends
In bias so blatent
I blush in Korean.

So farewell Dear Sam
So often my voice pal
Siri outlives you
An Apple Immortal.

“On Samsung! On scrolling!
On bouncebacks ! On touching!”
I heard Sam declaring
As her self was deleting.

Her last words forever
She gasped in her shrinking,

“Apples do rot

and
so
will
the
iKing”

Paul Keane,
Samsung S2 owner

Reactions: Second Summer
I enjoy buying new technology items, but I will only do so when my old item breaks irreparably.