Anyone else eschew technology?

D

Digger

I'm not a Luddite per se but I'm finding that the older I get the less inclined I am to be interested in always having the latest technology. At 49 years-old I don't own a cellphone, laptop, microwave oven, iPod, iPhone, iPad or any such thing at all... nor do I belong to any social media sites like Twitter or Facebook. I have a desktop computer and I'm quite happy to have that. Just how weird am I... and are there others here who prefer the written word on paper rather than electronic media?

I have a netbook for internetting and a trackfone for the most necessary telephone calling. I have no landline, microwave, ereader or mp3 player or television set. We recently got a radio, that's been a real treat. :yes:

But also I don't really read anymore, mostly just watch Netflix on my computer for entertainment. :shrug:

Well, sometimes I like the old stuff.

For example, when I do drafts for essays or other written works, I like to do them with pen and paper.

My desktop computer is quite modern however, but I much prefer them to laptops and else-wise.

I can't say I'm prefer older/low tech to new tech, but I'm usually a very late adopter of new tech.

Generally something has to be around for a few years before I'll consider buying it.

..went through that period of upgrading my computer every 18 months...just don't have the energy or funds to have the latest and greatest.

Besides if you wait a while, things become standardized (or at least less propriatary) and the cost goes down as the market get's satuated.

I don't understand how people can live without a microwave. I know there are people out there (in the Western world :p ) who don't have kettles! :eek: How do they manage?!

I don't think it's a straight choice between words on paper or technology. You can like and use both, you know. Take me, right now I'm sitting in a room with over 500 books in it but I have a kindle and I love it. The kindle doesn't mean I'm going to bin all my books or stop me from buying books. It's not an all or nothing thing.

Reactions: PiSis and Dropkick
I LOVE technology!! That said I also enjoy paper books (I do want an e-reader quite badly) and still make notes in a notebook on my desk. I do not have a smartphone though I would enjoy having one if I could afford it. I use my microwave several times daily and do not want to even THINK about not having it. I have the TV on constantly but it is mainly background noise while I am on the computer. I live alone and my gadgets are my company!! I have an older iPod but don't use it very much. I have an older laptop and will be getting a new one with tax refund money!! I can never have the latest thing right away but I do like to keep my computers fairly modern. I consider myself a "geek" even though I am a grandma!! :D

I might be a bit of a Luddite, I don't know. I wouldn't get an answering machine for ages. Someone in my family finally forced a hand-me-down on me, and I recorded my greeting in Spanish. I don't like answering phones, but I don't like getting messages either. I now have a cell phone because my Dad worries about me being far away and on my own, but there is no signal where I live.

I don't have a microwave. I do have a laptop, but I rarely use it. It never leaves the house. No iPods iPads iThis or iThat. No Kindle; I love real books. They are a passion. I'd much rather speak to someone than text them. I have never texted in my life, and I have no interest in starting.

I did recently make a Facebook account, but I haven't done anything with it. I was on Google+, but I left. I do have a Twitter, which I started mostly in reaction to someone stating that censoring works of literature wasn't a problem because the author's own choice of wording was irrelevant to the story. So my Twitter theme is classic works of literature in 140 characters or less.

I won't get a GPS. I won't get a new car with any of that OnStar crap they market as safety equipment but strikes me as voluntarily allowing your movements to be recorded. If they stick one of those chips in my next driver's license I will probably get a lead envelope to keep it in.

Yes, I think I am a Luddite. :p

I'm fine without stuff until I finally get it...meaning, I could do quite well without a lot of the technology out there but once I do have it, don't try and take it away and ask me to do without it. I did ok, for awhile, when my microwave died but I missed the convenience of being able to heat stuff up in it. When the power went out I actually made coffee by boiling coffee grinds on the stovetop (gas stove). Wouldn't want to do that on a daily basis so I need my coffee maker.

I have an iphone that I almost never use for making/taking calls. It's strictly for email, FB, VV, taking pictures/videos and uploading them to FB/VV. I could do without it if I had to as long as I had some kind of cell phone for emergency purposes and I had a working desktop computer. I have never had a laptop or an ipod. I do have a GPS but that's mainly due to my anxiety issues and fear of going places on my own. The GPS and cell phone are like my security blanket. I only use them in an emergency.

I'm clinging to my VCR for dear life...I will literally mourn when that dies. And don't even think about touching my TV. TV is my life, even if it is mostly for the background noise...and the few remaining soap operas...Walking Dead, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Being Human...The Waltons...Little House...etc., etc., etc.

I have a Kindle which I purchased when a family member was diagnosed with MS. I am not a reader and wanted to be one and thought having a kindle would help. It did for awhile...I read 14 books on MS and pretty much nothing after that, so you can take away the kindle.

I think it's safe to say I have/like enough stuff for me to not fit into the Luddite category.

I have the most basic cellphone available through my provider. I have a laptop (again, a basic one) because it's much more comfortable for my back to be half reclining when I use it. I do not have a TV. I did buy myself a Nano so that I could listen to audio books as I move around the house and outdoors. (I check audio books out from the library.) I have a microwave, which I use to heat food for the kids and beverages for myself.

I have no interest in having anything with the latest frills, because it will just be outdated in six months. But there are some things that make my life easier.

I enjoy technology, but the technology I have for myself is relatively basic by modern standards. I own a laptop with basic capabilities, as I only use it for surfing the web and word processing/spreadsheets. I have a cell phone I use for texting and the occasional call, but I have no interest in owning a smartphone with a data plan. My TV is a VCR combo (that should give you a hint to its age right there) which I purchased the summer before I went to college, back in '04. Some people suggest I get one with a large screen. I will keep using this one til it kicks the bucket. I have it hooked up to a very basic DVD player. My roommate has his large flat screen in the living room and I hardly use it. That's about it for my own possessions. The microwave is a built-in that came with the apartment but 90% of my cooking is done on the stovetop. I guess I just try to avoid getting too crazy dependent on technology. Not to mention the expense of keeping everything "current". My father was known for falling into that trap. I guess I learned my lesson from watching the debt he incurred as a result.

No iPods iPads iThis or iThat.

:D Same here, I used to have an iPod but my cats dropped it on the floor and broke it. I do have a kindle which was a gift and I gave away all my paper books and we recently upgraded our phones and I think they are smartphones, whatever that means.:rofl:I only use it to text a couple of people occasionally.

We don't have a microwave or a car and I don't belong to Twitter or Facebook.

I'm fine without stuff until I finally get it...meaning, I could do quite well without a lot of the technology out there but once I do have it, don't try and take it away and ask me to do without it.

This is me, as well.

I'm not an early adopter. I have an iPad (it was a gift) and iPhone, but I didn't get those until three generations in.
I never had an actual iPod, but I did have a Zune.

My car came with GPS, but I rarely use it. It's DVD-based, and I have never upgraded from the original 2007 version that was pre-installed.

I really like small kitchen appliances, and have many.

I like technology, but I am a late adopter, too. We just got a flat screen TV for the first time because the old fat TV died. I also have an android phone that I use for everything else. I use it for my phone, email, vv, GPS, roadside assistance, to read kindle books, my calendar planner, and to play mindless games like Farm Story and Pinball on. I have a netbook I got a few years ago, but usually my son uses it to bring to class. I have a microwave oven and a tea kettle and love both of them. I also have cable tv with a dvr. And a radio, a necessity for my hurricane paranoia.

I adapt to make discriminate use of the resources available to me. When they aren't available, I adapt. I think most people are like that.

I have a laptop, was pointless to get a desktop computer as I dont have my own home to put it in. I have an LG phone with internet on it. I have a stereo with cd player and an old tv... and a small personal dvd player with screen.

The only reason I got onto FB, last year was the earthquake down south, I was worried a friend was in her home town and got caught up in it so I joined up so I could find if she was ok. I use it a bit but I am not really a Facebook person. its ok.

I'm also a late adapter , if I adapt at all. I have a basic phone and have no interest in getting a smartphone. I don't own an i-anything, flat screen tv, ereader, kindle, dvr, etc.

I use my microwave constantly and just can't part with it. I also constantly have my tv on and it's another thing I can never get rid of since I don't watch tv on my computer. My tv is ancient and I have no need for a flat screen or LCD one. I own an older laptop and desktop pc. I still have my vcr and a super old bulky dvd player.

I have borrowed a GPS from a family member and found it to be horrible. It sent me in some very sketchy and dangerous places. I will stick to mapquest or google maps. Anything touchscreen makes me want to scream. I just can't get used to that. Give me old fashion buttons any day!

I'm also a late adapter , if I adapt at all. I have a basic phone and have no interest in getting a smartphone. I don't own an i-anything, flat screen tv, ereader, kindle, dvr, etc.

I use my microwave constantly and just can't part with it. I also constantly have my tv on and it's another thing I can never get rid of since I don't watch tv on my computer. My tv is ancient and I have no need for a flat screen or LCD one. I own an older laptop and desktop pc. I still have my vcr and a super old bulky dvd player.

I have borrowed a GPS from a family member and found it to be horrible. It sent me in some very sketchy and dangerous places. I will stick to mapquest or google maps. Anything touchscreen makes me want to scream. I just can't get used to that. Give me old fashion buttons any day!

I hate touchscreens!! I have trouble sometimes with my silly iPod with it's touch control. My sister was given a Nook for Mother's Day and she is just getting use to using it. I don't like being forced into a technology. I like to do things at my own pace!! I am always behind a few years. I have 3 old school TV's that work just fine, but I would like a modern one some day!! I grew up without all these newer devices but I would NOT want to go back!!

Reactions: thefadedone
There is a touchscreen in my doctor's surgery and it always has a fault and doesn't work. I have to go to the reception to tell them and they say annoying things like "Are you sure you pressed the screen?" :fp:

Reactions: kazyeeqen