Any knitters out there?

Thanks, guys! I'm not a very experienced knitter, and the hat (and scarf) is my first real self designed project.

PTree15, if you do ribbed cables (cables in a K1,P1 stitch pattern), the cables are completely reversible, which of course is great for a scarf or shawl. That fact dawned on me not long ago. :oops:

Thanks, guys! It was my first cowl. I usually do more crocheting than knitting, but I have been doing the opposite of late. I think I will become addicted to cowls, lol. They feel so nice and warm.

KLS, way cool on the circular needles! I love knitting with them. How is your beautiful scarf coming?

Mlp, beautiful, just beautiful!!!! I just started my first cable project, a scarf! I am very excited and was surprised at how easy it is to do a cable. It seems as if it would be tricky. I just have to pay a little more attention than I usually do, lol.

Cowls can be addicting! :) They make great gifts, though. ;)

Cowls can be addicting! :) They make great gifts, though. ;)
That's what I am thinking for next Christmas and a few birthdays!
Mlp, I have no clue how to design my own patterns. I am duly impressed! Thanks for the tip about reversible cables. Awesome.

Cables terrify me, I dunno why. I think its cause I'm really good at dropping needles - one of the biggest reasons I prefer crochet. If you drop a crochet needle there's only one loop it can go in haha.

I knit a scarf for my friend for xmas, it took way more yarn than I anticipated (5 balls!). I hadnt knit anything in a good 2 years (since I learnt how to Crochet) so was impressed that I didnt drop a single stitch. It was just stockinette stitch doubly wide then stitched together, with tassles, nothing exciting.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Hey, the fact that you finished it is exciting enough for me. :) I have all year to work on the two I started so that they will be done by next Christmas. In fact, I'm thinking I should unravel the whole thing (didn't get much done at all) and start over since I was doing one straight stitch and I probably should be doing knit/purl/knit/purl at the very least. :)

Beautiful cowl, PTree15! I love cowls - pull them up over one's head when needed, drop them down when not, and no worries about it slipping off unnoticed and losing it, as I tend to do with scarves.

I just made these for my sister - I like ribbed cables. And there's something about using Cat Bordhi's cast on to make Moebius cowls and scarves that tickles me:

View attachment 1409View attachment 1410View attachment 1411

Beautiful! I love it!

Naturally, I forgot to take pictures, shame on me, but I finally gave my best friend the scarf I knitted back in October for his girlfriend. I am hoping she loves it. Scarves are so much fun to knit.

*correction*

I don't have any finished photos that are good, but I found an *"in progress" photo on my phone...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: SummerRain
Cables terrify me, I dunno why. I think its cause I'm really good at dropping needles - one of the biggest reasons I prefer crochet. If you drop a crochet needle there's only one loop it can go in haha.

Instead of a cable needle ( which always slips out of the stitches for me), I use a double pointed needle (in a slightly bigger size than the needles I'm knitting with) to hold the stitches that are passing in the front or back.

Instead of a cable needle ( which always slips out of the stitches for me), I use a double pointed needle (in a slightly bigger size than the needles I'm knitting with) to hold the stitches that are passing in the front or back.
I did that initially because I couldn't find my cable needle, lol. It worked great!

GingerFoxx, love that scarf and the colors!

I'm really not liking the wooden knitting needles...not working for me. Could I switch over to metal ones as long as I make sure I get the same size? It seems like it would be really easy to do.

Yep just knit right on to the new needles as long as they are the same size. For me, wooden needles work best with soft, slippery yarns.

Reactions: KLS52
Question...I have just started a scarf in the brioche stitch, which works up very nicely, but do any of you know how to properly put the stitches back on the needle after you rip out a row? I have tried to find instructions that I could understand or a video, but I haven't had much luck. I tried to figure out how to fix the mistake without ripping it out, but I failed. TIA :)

Things like that are why I prefer crochet haha.
No seriously. The only fool proof method I've found is where, when you get to a line you might **** up, is to thread a bit of different coloured yarn through it. that way the holes are left open and you can rescue it easily. Maybe do that once every few lines til you get used to the stitch? Ive never successfully picked up the rows after pulling them off the needle (accidentally or on purpose), always end up missing a few.

I'm really not liking the wooden knitting needles...not working for me. Could I switch over to metal ones as long as I make sure I get the same size? It seems like it would be really easy to do.

Plastic ones can be nice, too. I do not like metal needles because my stitches always slide off! I'm a bit of a loose knitter.

Things like that are why I prefer crochet haha.
No seriously. The only fool proof method I've found is where, when you get to a line you might **** up, is to thread a bit of different coloured yarn through it. that way the holes are left open and you can rescue it easily. Maybe do that once every few lines til you get used to the stitch? Ive never successfully picked up the rows after pulling them off the needle (accidentally or on purpose), always end up missing a few.
Thanks. Perhaps I will give that a try.

0b7f2e74c8bab88301b28e1f9f7f2a37.jpg

Here is the scarf. It will be an infinity scarf when I am through.