Any knitters out there?

I would love to turn my knitting into a side business, but when you consider not just cost of materials, because yarn can be obtained on the cheap if you know how to shop, but just the amount of hours that go into a project, there doesn't seem to really be a way for it to be "profitable". I mean, I could buy $3 worth of yarn, make a scarf, and sell it for $20, but if I spent a full day knitting it, I wouldn't really be making any money. That being said, I do enjoy knitting gifts for those close to me.

Yup, it basically involves purposely running at a loss. I've given up now because of final year Uni riding me.

People were so hasty to tell me I should sell my work, but reticent to actually buy it.

Grr.

Reactions: GingerFoxx
That is a very common beginner's mistake. Just remember when you are making a knit stitch the yarn must be in the back and when purling it is in the front. So if you are switching from knit to purl (for example if the pattern says to k2 p2 across the row), you must bring the yarn to the front between the needles before you make the purl stitch (and vice versa when switching from purl to knit).

Thanks! I'm not even able to make a purl stitch yet but my knit stitch is pretty even now :) I am making my mum knitted dish cloths for washing up because she said she wanted some, I'm making them from cotton which is much harder to knit with than acrylic but I'm getting there.

Does anybody else knit that's vegan? What yarns do you use? I have some 40% acrylic 60% cotton stuff I want to make a scarf from that's really soft and not-itchy in a duck-egg blue :)

SummerRain, do you crochet? I find that crocheting with cotton is much easier. I am vegan and I use mostly acrylic and different blends of non-animal yarn. I've just picked up some bamboo, and it seems pretty soft, texture-wise. My cousin knitted me a scarf using banana silk. It's soft, but it's a heavy yarn. The scarf is very warm, though, and quite pretty. I will have to ask her where she got that yarn.

SummerRain, do you crochet? I find that crocheting with cotton is much easier. I am vegan and I use mostly acrylic and different blends of non-animal yarn. I've just picked up some bamboo, and it seems pretty soft, texture-wise. My cousin knitted me a scarf using banana silk. It's soft, but it's a heavy yarn. The scarf is very warm, though, and quite pretty. I will have to ask her where she got that yarn.

Nope I don't even really know how crocheting works, it might be next on my list once I've mastered knitting ! Cool, the only bamboo I could find had some wool too but I'll keep looking, banana silk sounds really interesting... it would be cool to have a scarf made out of bananas!

That looks great!
And who knows, you've gotten a really good start so it may be done by then!

Reactions: KLS52
Rosie's right. You'd be surprised how quickly it will go once you get going :). By the way, lovely color!

Oh pretty colors. You are doing great KLS52. That's not the easiest type yarn for a beginner.

SummerRain. I'm a vegan knitter. I'm too tired to think tonight what I use. It's just a lot of searching around. Maybe check out yarn.com for some ideas. You will have to fight your way though the sea of wool out there. Luckily the owner of my local yarn shop has a vegan daughter and she is very nice in helping me with yarn selection. Also try searching on Ravelry for yarns. If you haven't signed up yet, it's a knitter and crocheters online paradise. Even for vegans.

I also use acrylic, cotton, bamboo, nylon. I love those fuzzy yarns.

Thanks, Kitties! :) I realized, once I got started, that it wasn't the best choice of yarn for me to start with. I pretty much grabbed the first acrylic I could find in a color I liked, not noticing it wasn't a smooth yarn.

I was wondering about the different kinds of needles that are out there... I have skinny metal ones that I'm using for this project but then I saw thicker ones made of bamboo. I tried them out last night but I think they are more difficult to use.

What kind of needles do you guys use?

Thanks, Kitties! :) I realized, once I got started, that it wasn't the best choice of yarn for me to start with. I pretty much grabbed the first acrylic I could find in a color I liked, not noticing it wasn't a smooth yarn.

I was wondering about the different kinds of needles that are out there... I have skinny metal ones that I'm using for this project but then I saw thicker ones made of bamboo. I tried them out last night but I think they are more difficult to use.

What kind of needles do you guys use?
I forgot to mention, cute kitty!

I think when starting out it's best to use the needle size as recommended with the yarn. Or perhaps one size up. You can knit thinner yarn on much bigger needles but can usually only go down a size or two of the recommended needle size with the yarn. I just bought some bamboo circular needles (those are the ones with the nylon between needles) today because the actual needle part was longer than on the metal ones. I find circular needles a bit awkward to work with. I prefer metal needles myself because the tip is usually pointier. I had some bamboo needles in the past and they seemed a little more blunt. So I agree bamboo seem a little harder to work with, but there are people who swear by them and don't like to use anything else. But since the bamboo needles I bought today are a little larger, I think they will work fine for my project.

Smooth yarn would probably be easier but it looks like you are doing really well with this yarn so keep up the good work. :)

I use bamboo, wood or metal needles, depending on the yarn. The yarn slips off wood more readily than off bamboo, and off metal more readily than either bamboo or wood. If a yarn is slippery, metal needles may be too slick to manage the yarn easily.

If you're knitting with a splitty yarn, you need needles with a sharper point. Boucle yarn, as you're currently using, KLS52, generally works better with blunter points, IME

2a53c4610bc5bb1d85f75a288a1478ea.jpg

64f6def0d91af2c2d70d273e0a7759ea.jpg

My latest project...perfect for the weather today.

Very nice!

I just got a set of circular knitting needles from a friend for Christmas! can't wait to see how I do with those. :)

Beautiful cowl, PTree15! I love cowls - pull them up over one's head when needed, drop them down when not, and no worries about it slipping off unnoticed and losing it, as I tend to do with scarves.

I just made these for my sister - I like ribbed cables. And there's something about using Cat Bordhi's cast on to make Moebius cowls and scarves that tickles me:

116_1667.JPG116_1670.JPG116_1672.JPG

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-ring-scarf
Anyone who can knit, I'm very interested in having this made for me. PM me if interested. I'll buy all materials and pay you whatever you think it's worth. I am dead serious on this. If I could knit, I would do it, but I cannot.

If I knew how to double-knit, I would. I wonder if there any LOTR themed scarves on there that I could make . . . *goes to check*

Thanks, guys! It was my first cowl. I usually do more crocheting than knitting, but I have been doing the opposite of late. I think I will become addicted to cowls, lol. They feel so nice and warm.

KLS, way cool on the circular needles! I love knitting with them. How is your beautiful scarf coming?

Mlp, beautiful, just beautiful!!!! I just started my first cable project, a scarf! I am very excited and was surprised at how easy it is to do a cable. It seems as if it would be tricky. I just have to pay a little more attention than I usually do, lol.