Any ideas (bald patch on cats fur)?

Nightshade

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score

I recently noticed this bald patch on my kitty's back and have no idea what's going on with it. He has allergies but I haven't noticed him scratching or licking more than usual. Everything else seems fairly normal for him and his fur looks healthy and shiny. I have noticed some tufts of his hair around the house but he's always been a bit of a shedder, especially this time of the year so I don't know. Any ideas what could cause this?

I've got 8 moggies and I've never seen anything like this, but somewhere in the back of my mind is the idea that they can get white patches due to hyperthyroidism. I would also agree with Shyvas and wouldn't rule out stress. It does look very strange but I'm sure it's nothing serious.

I wonder....normally I would say he has nothing to be stressed about but I've been adopted by a couple of ferals who I feed regularly on my porch. One them, an orange tabby that I've unoriginally nicknamed Ginge, has taken to visiting inside the house when I open the front door. He/she doesn't stay very long but my cat and Ginge have seen each other several times and, each time, Ginge hisses and growls at my cat. The other day, Ginge booped my cat on the nose before demanding to be let back outside. My kitteh needs to go the vet anyway for his bi-annual fructosamine test since he's a diabetic and we need to see how his insulin dosage is doing so I can ask the doctor then. I was just curious if anyone else every encountered anything like this before.

No idea, could you take him to the vets? My experience is that an owners instinct about something a little unusual in their pet is usually right.

I edited your thread title btw to make it a little clearer what it was about :)

My boyfriend's mum's cat has this. I can't remember exactly what it is but it's basically a harmless skin condition which you can just get a cream for. Will ask next time I see her :) maybe it's the same thing.

I've seen this in reaction to a flea or other insect bite when the cat has an allergy to such bites.

No idea, could you take him to the vets? My experience is that an owners instinct about something a little unusual in their pet is usually right.

I edited your thread title btw to make it a little clearer what it was about :)
Yes, he has to see the vet within the next month for something else but I wasn't certain if this was an emergency or not. I'm just so overwhelmingly busy the next couple of weeks that I'd like to put this off, if possible until after the holidays.

Yes, he has to see the vet within the next month for something else but I wasn't certain if this was an emergency or not. I'm just so overwhelmingly busy the next couple of weeks that I'd like to put this off, if possible until after the holidays.

NS, Could you not call the vet and ask for some advise ?
It is needless to worry if it is something that is not serious. You have enough on your plate atm.

NS, Could you not call the vet and ask for some advise ?
It is needless to worry if it is something that is not serious. You have enough on your plate atm.

Yeah, I'd call the vet and ask about it. Describe the bald patch and ask if this is something that can wait until after the holidays to be attended to. If the cat seems healthy otherwise, I'm willing to bet the vet will say yes, it can wait.

Reactions: SummerRain
SHYVAS! OMG! You scared the crap outta us, we got scared, where did you go, lady? *tacklehuggleglomp*

And yes, *cough* I'd like to know how he is also.

I was either at work or at home. I had to settle a few matters and also had to catch up on letter writing etc.