Animal free products in the news

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We really need a separate forum for this. Not a day goes by when this stuff is in the news.

this time is Fox Business News calling the meatless trend a "cult'. I'll put a link at the bottom if anyone is actually interested.

BTW, the article references the news that Tim Horton is introducing meatless sausages and burgers. I hadn't bothered posting anything about that because when i first read about this I had no idea who Tim Horton is. Since then I learned that it's like a Canadian Burger King. But with donuts?

Anyway, the best thing about the article is the stupid joke the author included at the end, quoting Gregg Smith, "an early investor".

“I think we could see millions of animals within their herd rejoice with joy as they hopefully get into plant-based meat, and maybe their lives will be prolonged,” he joked.​

Come to think of it - I don't get it.

Maybe this is a better take-a-way

“That’s going to broaden the market, that’s going to create more awareness,” he said. “Beef is a $1.4 trillion industry. If you make the comparison to what’s happened to dairy with plant-based dairy foods, who have now garnered some 14 percent of the market. If you take 14 percent of $1.4 trillion it’s a massive market if you believe that the plant-based beef will get there.”​

hey @Lou - you wish to know about Canadian things you just have to ask.... ;)

TIm Hortons is a coffee shop/donut shop that also sells other stuff for all three meals of the day.

Tim Horton was a hockey player who died in a traffic accident. He also opened a DoughNut shop in the town next mine back in 1964 and it grew substantially into franchising etc by 1968 and then after he died a local business bought the family out and it took off from there. It expanded to the USA over the last decade or so, mostly in the northern and eastern states.

I tried their new vegan sausage breakfast offering and was not impressed, it may have been a one-off bad one and may give it another try the next time I am travelling. Just happy that they have an option.

Tim Horton's used to be as Canadian as maple syrup and moose and beavers and then this happened:

On August 26, 2014, Burger King agreed to purchase Tim Hortons for US$11.4 billion; the chain became a subsidiary of the Canadian holding company Restaurant Brands International, which is majority-owned by Brazilian investment firm 3G Capital, on December 15, 2014.

It has not been the same since but we all still go there for coffee.

Emma JC
edit: btw they do not have burgers at Tim Hortons

Reactions: Lou
When i first read that news that Tim Horton had introduced beyond burgers I just thought it was some dude. I didn't know it was a restaurant chain. And I didn't know it was Canadian. So basically I didn't know enough to ask you.

And I probably wasn't that curious. It's like every day now that Beyond or Impossible is in the news. A while back we were joking about when Vegan News would be so common that it would no longer be reported. I think i have lost interest in reading about meat-free burgers.

Ok. this is something to look forward to. Right now we always have to say meat-free, or dairy-free, or plant-based.
Maybe someday we can say burgers, ice cream, and eggs. And everyone would know we are talking about vegan products and the carnists would have to use adjectives for their food, like beef burgers, dairy ice cream, and chicken eggs.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC