Nutrition & Diet Always Hungry? Here's Why.

Glad this is starting to go somewhat mainstream. I've been paying attention to similar research with great interest over the past 5 or so years, just from unknowns rather than in NY Times. I pretty much treat sugar and all its cousins like the plague. I may have gone to the extreme, but as far as I can tell it works.

Glad this is starting to go somewhat mainstream. I've been paying attention to similar research with great interest over the past 5 or so years, just from unknowns rather than in NY Times. I pretty much treat sugar and all its cousins like the plague. I may have gone to the extreme, but as far as I can tell it works.

I have also cut out refined carbs, especially sugar since the last few months. I'm happy to say that I no longer have killer migraines on a weekly basis, have lost weight, have more energy and am not hungry all the time. However as I am a sugar addict, I do allow myself a treat from time to time.

The following book is on my wish list as it has many good reviews and a lot of food for thought.

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health: Taubes, Gary: 9781400033461: Amazon.com: Books

"For decades we have been taught that fat is bad for us, carbohydrates better, and that the key to a healthy weight is eating less and exercising more. Yet despite this advice, we have seen unprecedented epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Taubes argues that the problem lies in refined carbohydrates, like white flour, easily digested starches, and sugars, and that the key to good health is the kind of calories we take in, not the number. In this groundbreaking book, award-winning science writer Gary Taubes shows us that almost everything we believe about the nature of a healthy diet is wrong."

It's a very good book. A lot of it will seem anti vegetarian, but it's informative and well researched nonetheless.

I'd also suggest Fat Chance by Robert Lustig. It's not quite as anti carb as Taubes version, and really goes into detail on why some are worse than others, as well as why foods like fruit are not bad due to how the fructose is handled differently when consumed with the natural fibers intact which even putting in a blender can interfere with.

"For decades we have been taught that fat is bad for us, carbohydrates better, and that the key to a healthy weight is eating less and exercising more. Yet despite this advice, we have seen unprecedented epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Taubes argues that the problem lies in refined carbohydrates, like white flour, easily digested starches, and sugars, and that the key to good health is the kind of calories we take in, not the number. In this groundbreaking book, award-winning science writer Gary Taubes shows us that almost everything we believe about the nature of a healthy diet is wrong."

What we say and what we do are different things though.To my knowledge, portion sizes has increased dramatically in the US, whilst physical activity has decreased. This, of course, is another example of correlation as far as statistics go. Other than that, I also have a gripe about diets, in that people blame them when they fail to lose weight rather than trying to see if they are doing something wrong. People overestimate success, that's for sure, but they also overestimate effort.

It's a very good book. A lot of it will seem anti vegetarian, but it's informative and well researched nonetheless.

I'd also suggest Fat Chance by Robert Lustig. It's not quite as anti carb as Taubes version, and really goes into detail on why some are worse than others, as well as why foods like fruit are not bad due to how the fructose is handled differently when consumed with the natural fibers intact which even putting in a blender can interfere with.

I must try and read a copy when I'm in the US as it has some excellent reviews.

In the meantime, I'm going to watch his video : The Bitter Truth.

What we say and what we do are different things though.To my knowledge, portion sizes has increased dramatically in the US, whilst physical activity has decreased. This, of course, is another example of correlation as far as statistics go. Other than that, I also have a gripe about diets, in that people blame them when they fail to lose weight rather than trying to see if they are doing something wrong. People overestimate success, that's for sure, but they also overestimate effort.

There is also a book called Diets Make You Fat. Apparently people who are always on a diet or have lost weight on numerous ones, weight more than when they initially started.

There is also a book called Diets Make You Fat. Apparently people who are always on a diet or have lost weight on numerous ones, weight more than when they initially started.

dieting can slow down the metabolism, so people end up eating less, and still not losing weight. And when they eat a normal amount, the weight piles on.

Rebound effect? Diets are tools, it's up to oneself to use them properly.

Not that I'd advise bein' on a diet 24/7 though, for a long-time purpose it's best to think of it as a lifestyle, I guess.

dieting can slow down the metabolism, so people end up eating less, and still not losing weight. And when they eat a normal amount, the weight piles on.

That's if you go too hard on cutting down calories.

That's one of the reasons I liked "Fat Chance." Books by Taubes, though well researched and informative, pretty much leave you with the impression that the only way to live past the age of twelve is to live off fish and beef (exaggeration). Lustig goes a bit more into endocrinology and how different carbohydrates are metabolized and their hormonal effects. In regards to fruit and certain veggies, which other anti carb authors have demonized, I believe Lustig successfully explains how the fibers in fruit and vegetables negate the negative effects that fructose has in concentrated form, as in sugar, hfcs, agave nectar, etc, leaving non meat eaters with something useful to go off of.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Too true about the portion sizes. Women my age blame weight gain or the difficulty in trying to lose weight on age and menopause. While menopause certainly makes it more difficult, I can attest that cutting out white carbs (not completely, lol) and retraining my body to accept smaller, more realistic portions (by seriously eating more slowly), plus daily exercise helped me drop 35 pounds in less than a year. It was not easy, but portion sizes are ridiculous now. I am completely satiated on so much less food now. People are rushing so much. I really enjoy my meals.

That's one of the reasons I liked "Fat Chance." Books by Taubes, though well researched and informative, pretty much leave you with the impression that the only way to live past the age of twelve is to live off fish and beef (exaggeration). Lustig goes a bit more into endocrinology and how different carbohydrates are metabolized and their hormonal effects. In regards to fruit and certain veggies, which other anti carb authors have demonized, I believe Lustig successfully explains how the fibers in fruit and vegetables negate the negative effects that fructose has in concentrated form, as in sugar, hfcs, agave nectar, etc, leaving non meat eaters with something useful to go off of.

I have just watched his video and I must say Lustig is an excellent speaker.

He basically says that a little sugar is OK but too much is toxic and he blames the food industry for the high obesity rate. He summons it up by saying to eat food that comes from the ground ( veg and fruit) and avoid all processed food. The latter is full of sugar which makes it taste good and makes you eat more.

https://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/05/04/robert-lustig-the-guy-on-obesity-speaking-may-3/

Too true about the portion sizes. Women my age blame weight gain or the difficulty in trying to lose weight on age and menopause. While menopause certainly makes it more difficult, I can attest that cutting out white carbs (not completely, lol) and retraining my body to accept smaller, more realistic portions (by seriously eating more slowly), plus daily exercise helped me drop 35 pounds in less than a year. It was not easy, but portion sizes are ridiculous now. I am completely satiated on so much less food now. People are rushing so much. I really enjoy my meals.

Well done PTree, that is a great achievement. I have also managed to lose weight by cutting out refined sugar and carbs. I eat lots of green vegetables (raw and cooked) per meal and usually have berries for dessert. I do allow myself a treat from time to time. The great thing is that I don't feel hungry all the time and don't have to count calories.

Well done PTree, that is a great achievement. I have also managed to lose weight by cutting out refined sugar and carbs. I eat lots of green vegetables (raw and cooked) per meal and usually have berries for dessert. I do allow myself a treat from time to time. The great thing is that I don't feel hungry all the time and don't have to count calories.
Same here, shyvas, and well done you! I make myself stop when I am full as well. It makes a huge difference.

last monday, I went until 5pm without eating(not for diet reasons) and my body didn't let me forget it...I've been hungry a lot since and I've put on about 2kg(4pounds)...:rolleyes: