Alternative Protein Questionnaire

omorrow26

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi, I am an A level Food and Nutrition Science student and I am doing a research project on the motivating factors for consuming alternative proteins. If you have some time to spare could you please fill out the questionnaire I have linked. All responses will remain anonymous. Thanks so much for your help!

I started your survey but I immediately got stumped.

You wrote
3. In a regular week, how many times would you consume alternative proteins?​
Alternative protein: A form of protein that is not derived from animals but instead comes from plant sources such as beans, pulses, soya products ect. Alternative proteins can be in a raw form but may also be manufactured.​

I was thinking that alternative protein was stuff like protein powders and protein bars. But according to your definition soy milk, tofu, black beans, peas, and lentils are "alternative proteins". I guess anything made from grains would be alternative proteins. Come to think of it, all veggies have protein so all veggies would be "alternative proteins".

Speaking for myself but thinking that most vegans would agree with me - I eat alternative proteins at every meal and snack.

skipping ahead of question 3, I get the idea that your idea of alternative protein is what I would call plant-based meat. That is thinking more along the lines of industrialized processed foods like a beyond burger and not thinking of a bag of green beans.

Like in question 12.
12. Are you satisfied with the current variety of alternative proteins available in mainstream supermarkets?​
Yes. they have black beans and navy beans. fresh peas and frozen peas. Rye bread and pumpernickel. So Many Choices.

Last edited:
I started your survey but I immediately got stumped.

You wrote
3. In a regular week, how many times would you consume alternative proteins?​
Alternative protein: A form of protein that is not derived from animals but instead comes from plant sources such as beans, pulses, soya products ect. Alternative proteins can be in a raw form but may also be manufactured.​

I was thinking that alternative protein was stuff like protein powders and protein bars. But according to your definition soy milk, tofu, black beans, peas, and lentils are "alternative proteins". I guess anything made from grains would be alternative proteins. Come to think of it, all veggies have protein so all veggies would be "alternative proteins".

Speaking for myself but thinking that most vegans would agree with me - I eat alternative proteins at every meal and snack.

skipping ahead of question 3, I get the idea that your idea of alternative protein is what I would call plant-based meat. That is thinking more along the lines of industrialized processed foods like a beyond burger and not thinking of a bag of green beans.

Like in question 12.
12. Are you satisfied with the current variety of alternative proteins available in mainstream supermarkets?​
Yes. they have black beans and navy beans. fresh peas and frozen peas. Rye bread and pumpernickel. So Many Choices.

Sorry by alternative protein I was referring to plant proteins as meat substitutes, I probably should have made that clearer. Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: Lou
I think, “plant-based protein source,” would be a good phrase to use. Some vegan protein sources aren’t alternative at all. Most people eat peanut butter.

Reactions: Lou and omorrow26
I think, “plant-based protein source,” would be a good phrase to use. Some vegan protein sources aren’t alternative at all. Most people eat peanut butter.
But peanut butter is a “plant-based protein source,”
People need to stop trying to make meat the default protein source. Protein is in most all foods.

But peanut butter is a “plant-based protein source,”
People need to stop trying to make meat the default protein source. Protein is in most all foods.

Yeah, that was my point. Peanut butter is vegan, full of protein, and popular among veggers and omni’s alike. A lot of vegan protein sources aren’t alternative, even from an omni perspective.

To me, “alternative protein,” would mean something that is actually designed to be an alternative to something else, such as Soy Chorizo.

Hi, I am an A level Food and Nutrition Science student and I am doing a research project on the motivating factors for consuming alternative proteins. If you have some time to spare could you please fill out the questionnaire I have linked. All responses will remain anonymous. Thanks so much for your help!

Might be more useful to pose this question to a flexitarian audience.