Air fryer

I had a small, cheap, Farberware air fryer, and the small capacity coupled with the form factor, the difficulty cleaning it fully, etc. made it so I very rarely used it. I just got the Instant Pot air fryer lid, which I like quite a bit. I could see getting a larger dedicated one in the toaster oven form factor, or even another classic air fryer form factor one with reviews that address the issues I had with the cheapie. The IP one is great for those of us who already use the IP as a primary cooking device though.

I had a small, cheap, Farberware air fryer, and the small capacity coupled with the form factor, the difficulty cleaning it fully, etc. made it so I very rarely used it. I just got the Instant Pot air fryer lid, which I like quite a bit. I could see getting a larger dedicated one in the toaster oven form factor, or even another classic air fryer form factor one with reviews that address the issues I had with the cheapie. The IP one is great for those of us who already use the IP as a primary cooking device though.

thanks for the idea - reviews on it are mostly good other than the quality of the basket, the non-stick coating seems to bubble off within the first couple of usages - I think I will wait to see if they solve this issue before seriously considering it

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: phlubup
thanks for the idea - reviews on it are mostly good other than the quality of the basket, the non-stick coating seems to bubble off within the first couple of usages - I think I will wait to see if they solve this issue before seriously considering it

Emma JC
I mostly use one of these, along with springform and other small pans that fit in the IP. This isn't the exact one I have, but there are a bunch you can find for the Instant Pot for cheap. That's one of the things I like about using the IP for it, is a fairly blank canvas within that 6 quarts, not tied to a particular basket that has to be inserted in order to power it up.
1643128300955.png

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I had all that stuff before I got the IP air fryer lid though, whereas it would be an additional cost someone else might have to factor in if they don't.

I'd bought the Mealthy air fryer lid used, that fits my IP. It's only for a small serving, and so close to the food.
I've since gotten a toaster oven/air fryer. With both when I use an oil spritz the smell of burning oil is terrible
We line the bottom with foil as it specifies, and one time of using even a bit of oil needs to be changed. I don't like that
I did just get Kathy Hestons vegan air fryer so will see what I learn

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I'm so excited! and I just can't hide it!! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it! - thank you Pointer Sisters

I bought a Hamilton Beach Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven w/6 functions - haven't opened the box yet and hope to today and try it out. Potatoes were on sale yesterday for $2.50 for 10 lbs and so they are going to go in first!!

247f6a15-0c15-4b15-ad98-9224867d029b.__CR450,0,2700,3600_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Congrats! @Emma JC

We had to get a new one because the old one finally died. My son bought it! So he got to pick it out. It’s a Vortex 6 qt

Air Fry, Roast, Broil, Bake, Reheat, Dehydrate, 1700W

I don’t think I like it better than my original Cosori though. There was just something about that one but that model has been discontinued. It was super easy to operate. This one is pretty easy but I can’t seem to bypass the preheat function. So that’s annoying to me. I also don’t think I will use the other features much. But it was free to me so I’ll take it lol.
A7C636BC-A421-41E4-A444-F59D29D91CD3.jpeg

Congrats! @Emma JC

We had to get a new one because the old one finally died. My son bought it! So he got to pick it out. It’s a Vortex 6 qt

Air Fry, Roast, Broil, Bake, Reheat, Dehydrate, 1700W

I don’t think I like it better than my original Cosori though. There was just something about that one but that model has been discontinued. It was super easy to operate. This one is pretty easy but I can’t seem to bypass the preheat function. So that’s annoying to me. I also don’t think I will use the other features much. But it was free to me so I’ll take it lol.

I have been watching some reviews on tray style vs toaster oven style and since I haven't opened the box yet I still could return it. I am torn, I really like the oven style and yet I think it might be much easier to clean the tray style. I don't use a lot of oil for cooking so maybe it won't be too bad or maybe everything will stick to the mesh basket....??

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15
I got a Hamilton Beach, too. I got a smaller cheaper one.
I don't have any cleaning issues. I put the mesh basket in the sink to soak a while and then use one of those abrasive cloths to clean it. the baking pan is already starting to get stained but I had the same issue with my old toaster oven and can live with that.
My main problem is that it seems like everything takes a lot longer to cook than it says on the recipe.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I have been watching some reviews on tray style vs toaster oven style and since I haven't opened the box yet I still could return it. I am torn, I really like the oven style and yet I think it might be much easier to clean the tray style. I don't use a lot of oil for cooking so maybe it won't be too bad or maybe everything will stick to the mesh basket....??

Emma JC
I was torn too. I wanted to try the toaster oven combo. I hated cleaning my old air fryer because the basket had ridges. It was torture. But the one son bought has a smooth interior so no issues cleaning. And technically it can go in the dishwasher but I generally prefer washing it by hand.

I think I need to experiment with the baking function at least. Would be interesting to make a small cake or banana bread without having to turn in the oven. I just hate experimenting when it goes wrong. Such a waste of time and ingredients if it really flops. I will have to do some good research first.

so far so good - 2 sets of potatoes/fries/wedges and one small slab bread pizza - it was over cooked as I put it as 400 and on Convection and usually put it at 350 in the regular oven - I will lower the temp next time and will try tofu soon

Emma JC

I’m finding this new air fryer is cooking faster than our old one. Things I would cook at 400 for ten minutes now have to be cooked at lower temperatures/times.

• Agree
I have the tower brand with shelves and it’s brilliant, I do all my root veg chips in it after part steaming, honestly don’t use my iver anymore, I can do anything in it, having the shelves is by far the best especially when your cooking a variety of things, and the bottom one I would do my kale chips on and the middle chick peas etc