Nutrition & Diet Advising Non-Vegetarian Gluten-free Relative

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
Well, my 19-year-old old niece has been diagnosed with celiac disease and she is seeing an MD who is I believe a naturopath, I'm not certain. Anyway, I've stayed out of it since her diagnosis a few months ago, but my sister in law just told me what the poor girl is eating at the advice of the doctor.

Gluten-free, of course, but *no carbs*. She said something about being allowed 2 carbs/day?!? She is eating full-fat dairy, meat, and very low carb vegetables. One smoothie a day with supplements, micronutrients, and digestive bacteria. That's all. :(

She has unhappily gained weight (was on the thin side before the diagniosis but not underweight). She still does not feel well, is symptomatic.

Any gluten-free advice, or anyone with celiac knowledge, I'd appreciate your advice.

Well, my 19-year-old old niece has been diagnosed with celiac disease and she is seeing an MD who is I believe a naturopath, I'm not certain. Anyway, I've stayed out of it since her diagnosis a few months ago, but my sister in law just told me what the poor girl is eating at the advice of the doctor.

Gluten-free, of course, but *no carbs*. She said something about being allowed 2 carbs/day?!? She is eating full-fat dairy, meat, and very low carb vegetables. One smoothie a day with supplements, micronutrients, and digestive bacteria. That's all. :(

She has unhappily gained weight (was on the thin side before the diagniosis but not underweight). She still does not feel well, is symptomatic.

Any gluten-free advice, or anyone with celiac knowledge, I'd appreciate your advice.

I don't have any knowledge about the disease but don't quite understand why she is only such a low carb diet. I usually read the NH links as they normally give out useful information concerning illnesses.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/coeliac-disease-leaflet

I don't have any knowledge about the disease but don't quite understand why she is only such a low carb diet. I usually read the NH links as they normally give out useful information concerning illnesses.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/coeliac-disease-leaflet
Thanks shyvas, I know, I'm at a loss as to why her doctor would prescribe such a thing. She has problems with her adrenals too, from my understanding.

I've been researching celiac diets and do not see this horrible carbohydrate-free mess of unhealthy fats recommended anywhere. I suspect paleo diet leanings in her doctor.

I found a support group in their area (they live 1200 miles away) where they can get information from people experienced with this disease. I have to tread lightly with my brother so I'm not "throwing animal mistreatment in his face", so I'm going to focus first on suggesting ADDING things to her diet. And switching doctors.

Reactions: thefadedone
Thanks shyvas, I know, I'm at a loss as to why her doctor would prescribe such a thing. She has problems with her adrenals too, from my understanding.

I've been researching celiac diets and do not see this horrible carbohydrate-free mess of unhealthy fats recommended anywhere. I suspect paleo diet leanings in her doctor.

I found a support group in their area (they live 1200 miles away) where they can get information from people experienced with this disease. I have to tread lightly with my brother so I'm not "throwing animal mistreatment in his face", so I'm going to focus first on suggesting ADDING things to her diet. And switching doctors.

Can you see if you could get some recommendations from the support group for a doctor that specializes in Celiacs? Or one that is at least experienced with it? Then suggest the dr to your brother as a second opinion?

Can you see if you could get some recommendations from the support group for a doctor that specializes in Celiacs? Or one that is at least experienced with it? Then suggest the dr to your brother as a second opinion?
That's a great idea. I will reach out to them. Reportedly my niece feels terrible on this diet (duh) so they will probably be open to a second opinion.