Advice on Transitioning

Ben Rogers

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was curious, I am planning to give being a vegan a go for a few weeks at a time to introduce myself to a new healthy lifestyle. There are just a few things I'm unsure about and i was wondering if anyone could advise me...

Currently I work two jobs, and have a little money to spare (I'm not super scrimping though) and I don't usually have time/ passion or appreciations to cook for me, that why i have smoothies instead because it's quick xD

I drink 3-5 smoothies a week, these include always hemp protein, Flax seeds and may include, spinach, berries, kale, almond milk/water, and a few nuts. Ahh...and I'm trying to mask the hemp taste, its either bananas, or maybe cocoa powder...I've made some pretty awful smoothies.

I reckon it's pretty healthy, I'll eat some other food...not sure what yet though...Aldi round the corner.

My main concern was if I were to do this, what other nutrition would i need? My main fear is vitamin B12, and reducing muscle sizes.

If anyone has any advice about vitamins, anything in general or quick recipes, let me know. :)

And i never hear of any B12 deficiencies....
I know Alpro include a little bit in their almond milk, but how much do we need? I don't even know where I can buy Alpro xD and who else sell it?
Peace and love,
Ben.

Hi Ben,

I can give you my thoughts, perhaps some ideas.

You write: Currently I work two jobs, and have a little money to spare
My reply: You are in luck, vegan food is least expensive, think rice, potatoes, beans.

You write: I don't usually have time/ passion or appreciations to cook for me
My reply: An idea for you could be a £25 slow cooker - put your beans, water, tomatoes, spices, turn it on Low and go to work. On return, after 8 hours or so, the food will be ready for you. Warm up some rice with it and you have a meal.

You write: My main fear is vitamin B12, and reducing muscle sizes.
My reply 1: Take a B12 supplement if you wish to do so (full disclosure: I feel that the B12 subject has been blown out of proportion and not taking supplements myself - time will tell).
My reply 2: I am assuming you are talking about 'protein deficiency' - there is enough protein in plants to support your muscular system, also 'protein deficiency' does not exist as a disease, it's broscience at best :)

Gab

Generally we don't hear about B12 deficiencies because eggs, milk, and animal flesh all contain B12. Only the severely malnourished and vegans seem to suffer from it. But it is serious, and I am aware of vegans who have gotten seriously ill because of it (actually, I'm one of them). Like many others I did not supplement and ran into difficulties. I am a champion of natural health, holistic living, but there are some truly shocking vegan testimonials about B12 on YouTube (that are made by vegans) so I have to vehemently disagree with gab.

Moreover many breads, milks, butters, and yeast extracts (like marmite) are all fortified with B12 these days and many find these sources to be enough - however if you're planning on only eating smoothies it might be an issue. Of course B12 is also found in a bacteria in organic soils but most people don't go out of their way to eat soil. :D

Hi winter.frost,

Which B12 product are you using ? I would like to give supplementation a second thought.

Thank you,

Gab