Adhd and being vegan

StrawberryField

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I'm curious if anyone out there who has been diagnosed with ADHD has experimented with a vegan diet. Since going vegan 3 months ago one of the biggest changes I have experienced is how calm I have become. I also don't feel like I deal with anxiety as much. What's also interesting is that I don't have as many debilitating bouts of depression, however, I do experience an extremely mild form of depression more often. Having said that, I'm curious if other people out there who might've been diagnosed with ADHD have some advice both diet and otherwise and could offer some suggestions. I've always been scared of taking medication but at 44 years old maybe it's time to experiment.

IMHO, almost everyone is a little ADHD and/or depressed. In fact, I think i could argue that anyone who was not at least occasionally depressed is suffering from some sort of mental illness. **** happens. You are supposed to react emotionally. We don't like to be depressed so in basic evolutionary terms we try to avoid situations that make us depressed. Seems like a good survival strategy.

I have no bias against experimenting with medications. but I have yet to meet anyone who has said to me that an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med changed their life for the better.

In my own personal experiences, I can always find something in my life to make better. Although some times I just don't want to make the effort. But I think the desire to want to make things better is a good one and I don't want to trade that away just to feel better.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
IMHO, almost everyone is a little ADHD and/or depressed. In fact, I think i could argue that anyone who was not at least occasionally depressed is suffering from some sort of mental illness. **** happens. You are supposed to react emotionally. We don't like to be depressed so in basic evolutionary terms we try to avoid situations that make us depressed. Seems like a good survival strategy.

I have no bias against experimenting with medications. but I have yet to meet anyone who has said to me that an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med changed their life for the better.

In my own personal experiences, I can always find something in my life to make better. Although some times I just don't want to make the effort. But I think the desire to want to make things better is a good one and I don't want to trade that away just to feel better.
Good advice. Also try Probiotic and avoid wheat products just to see if it changes. some people have found tremendous difference in mood.