Activism and mental health

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m 95% vegan. I do a lot of campaigning online. I’m an extremely kind, compassionate and charitable person.
However, I also have anxiety problems and my mum probably thinks that some of the stuff that I look at online (gruesome animal cruelty/suffering videos and petitions) could have a negative effect on my mental health. A hypnotherapist has also, possibly, told me that it doesn’t help my mental health.
I care passionately about animals, but I also want to look after myself. What would be a good, healthy balance?
Thank you to the moon and back.
Have the best day and night ever!

Reactions: betiPT
1) Become fully vegan
2) Watch other activists or vegan cooking shows instead of distressing animal violence
3) Engage in activism that's within your personal limit. Not everyone is cut out to film investigations of slaughter houses or to risk getting arrested in direct activism. Start a blog, create a YouTube channel or if you are in school contact PETA2 and start a campus vegan club, they send you supplies through a sponsor.

Good luck.

Reactions: Lou and mavrick45
I agree with @Forest Nymph and some extra tips below.

• Eat unprocessed (Chef AJ has an amazing book to help)
  • Rest - when was the last time you did nothing for a day and just sat at the beach or in a forest setting? If it is over a month, organise a trip to get away and do nothing and enjoy your environment
  • Meditate - try doing this every day... even for 5 mins
  • Sleep - are you getting between 7-9 hours sleep every day? If not, fix this :)
  • Exercise - ensure in your day to day activities you include exercise
  • Avoid alcohol
Good Luck!

Hi,
I’m 95% vegan. I do a lot of campaigning online. I’m an extremely kind, compassionate and charitable person.
However, I also have anxiety problems and my mum probably thinks that some of the stuff that I look at online (gruesome animal cruelty/suffering videos and petitions) could have a negative effect on my mental health. A hypnotherapist has also, possibly, told me that it doesn’t help my mental health.
I care passionately about animals, but I also want to look after myself. What would be a good, healthy balance?
Thank you to the moon and back.
Have the best day and night ever!

Hi Rory - you can stop torturing yourself by viewing these distressing things , and you can still be the caring , lovely person that you are . You are not actually helping these animals by viewing the images and info , but you are helping by your lifestyle .
I am 59 , and l used to do the same thing as you .. All it did was help me into a state of misery , and in that state l was not able to be of any help to any being ..
Just Be the person you wish to Be .. Be caring , loving , compassionate ... Do what you can , when and where you can .
The energy you send out into the world matters , so it's better to send out joyful , loving energy , than miserable , dark energy , ok ? What you focus on expands , so focus , instead , on perhaps volunteering to walk or groom dogs in the local animal shelter .. Or walk someone's dog who can't ... There are ways to help animals without immersing yourself in the worst cases of cruelty , etc..
You will be far more effective , in general , in your life , if you can be joyful and caring , rather than miserable and caring.
We can not fix everything , and putting disturbing images and news into our minds does not help . You are already aware of what goes on - so , love yourself as much as the animals , and stop ..

Sending you much love and a big hug , Rory , from Blissful x

Reactions: Sax and Lou