Abbatoir noise

Col

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I cycle to work I go go past a 'local family run abattoir' and I hear the animals being killed and shouted at.

Recently I have exercised in the gym instead and driven to work what should I do?

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
A very difficult 😥 situation to handle, you could try and find out the days of slaughter and not bike on those days .
Otherwise you are just left with just using your car.

When I cycle to work I go go past a 'local family run abattoir' and I hear the animals being killed and shouted at.

Recently I have exercised in the gym instead and driven to work what should I do?

It's worth having a chat with the CAB (Citizen's Advice Bureau for any non Brits reading) since there are several angles you can explore.

Firstly, the abattoir has a duty of care to slaughter humanely. Whilst I'm well aware many on this forum will think that no slaughter is humane, there are objective criteria that have to be met and if the animals are being shouted at then the abattoir might be guilty of unnecessary cruelty. Bear in mind that the abattoir legally has to use CCTV to film proceedings, keep those recordings for 90 days and make them available to inspectors if required to do so, so it doesn't have to end up as your word against theirs.

Secondly, the abattoir is bound by environmental laws as much as any other business and noise nuisance is a factor. Noise does not just have to be above a certain volume to be a nuisance and noise that causes distress can certainly be found to be a nuisance. Animal squeals would be highly likely to be considered distressing to the average person - vegan or not - as well as evidence animal welfare is not necessarily being upheld.

Of course, if the noise coming from the abattoir is the noise of normal processing and what distresses you is the knowledge of what the machines are doing then that's unlikely to be seen in the same light. Basically the question is whether an innocent like a child, if they heard the noise, would know something was wrong with no prior experience of abattoirs and animal slaughter. If they could tell something was being hurt, I'd say that's quite enough to take to the authorities. N.B. I'm using a hypothetical child, of course, not suggesting you use a real one as a human litmus test.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

You can sort of reconcile your driving to work and exercising at the gym.
One point is that driving would take less time. Leave later, get home earlier. Although if you go to the gym right before or after work that may not be any kind of time saving. But then maybe you don't have to go to the gym EveryDay.
Also biking to work is not so much fun on really hot or cold or wet days. So it might be nice to not bike and just visit the gym.
You won't be arriving at work all sweaty.
Just something to think about.

“I don’t wanna close my eyes,
Don’t wanna fall asleep ..”

I have now decided it doesn't hurt me as much to be on the public road as it does the animals,
and I have posted a video of it here:

Reactions: Lou