Media A Story About Avoidance

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Hello Vegan Forums,

I've written a thing about how long it has taken me to become vegan and how glad I am that I did and all that stuff. It's quite long and rambling, and it contains some descriptions of animal cruelty, because I was a farm worker when I first left school, so sorry about that. Anyway, it's here, if you fancy a read:

http://www.danceswithcats.uk/?p=288

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I enjoyed your blog, and I'd reccomend it to others here, just noting however for the benefit of others that it is long and does contain some description of a chicken farm you worked on.

I'd glad your lifestyle is working out for you.

I think clinging to normality is a key component of meat eating that we need to break from and you captured it very well.

The "can they suffer" quote has been used by Singer, but it is originally from Jeremy Bentham, a 19th century philosopher.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Jamie, that is incredibly cool, thank you. I will correct the misattribution at the weekend. I'm familiar with Bentham, but only as a name from textbooks: I've never read him.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it.

I think it is very important for us to share our stories, for people to see the beauty of the journey to veganism. I find it to be inspiring!

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Thank you VFD. We all get asked "Why?" on a regular basis: usually at the table! I have found it helpful to think it through clearly and write it out. For people who aren't there yet, but might be concerned about the impact of their diet, I think the recognition that it's no a club that attracts a particular 'type of person', but a rational choice that is less difficult than giving up smoking (and way easier than following a calorie-controlled weight loss diet) could serve as an encouragement to give it a try.

One thing I will change about my post, thanks to The China Study: I'll add a dismissal of the dark warnings about B12 that crop up every time veganism is mentioned in the media. They're scare tactics that are not rooted in reality. You need trace amounts, and it stays in your body, once it's absorbed, for over a year. A smear of Marmite a day is more than enough. (Pp 231-232, if you want to look it up)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lou The Untold Vegan Story of Baskin-Robbins General 3
Emma JC Vegan Canadian Firefighter Story General 18
StrangeOtter Justice's story Animals 6
Lou Who is in the mood for a shaggy dog story? Lounge 8
VeganOtaku Hello from indiana! heres my transformation story... Introduce Yourself 3
shyvas Australia's Worst Murder Story Other Countries 0
L Charity Support the calf sanctuary...An inspirational story... Marketplace 0
ledboots Veganism in 2015 (upbeat story!) General 1
Bite Size Vegan Life With(out) You | The Story of Ooby The Bulldog Animals 7
Bite Size Vegan Can One Person Make A Difference? | Anita's Story Animals 0
Calliegirl History This Face Changes the Human Story Social Sciences & Humanities 0
shyvas TV & Film Love Story Actors Reunite - Love Letters Media & Entertainment 1
Mischief News Sweet story about Joe Biden General Discussion 4
Bite Size Vegan The Hard Truth: Powerful Vegan Conversion Story | Gary Yourofsky General 3
Bite Size Vegan How To Be An Activist & Find Your Voice | The Bite Size Vegan Story Animals 0
Indian Summer Spirituality Dreaming and the strange story of Carlos Castanada Social Sciences & Humanities 3
shyvas A Heartbroken Goat and Pal Reunited- Happy Story Animals In The News 4
SummerRain UK Drop in teenage pregancies is the success story of our time. General Discussion 1
Indian Summer A happy story about cats and microchipping Animals 9
Calliegirl TV & Film American Horror Story Media & Entertainment 79
Dropkick One sentence story Lounge 55
Calliegirl Photographer tells story of doomed shelter dogs Animals In The News 6
FortyTwo Emoticon Story Lounge 19