A shy hello from NE England

Linz2016

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
Hi. I'm Lindsay/Linz (I answer to both) from the UK. Went vegetarian 3 years ago, vegan/plant-based a few months later, although I consider myself a far stricter vegetarian than I am vegan, perhaps I'm still in transition, I don't know.

I have 2 dogs, Milly (a Lurcher) and Honey (a Chihuahua).

Joined yesterday and had a quick nosey around to get a feel of the place. I'm here to learn, and also to help if/when I can. I'm particularly interested in vegan recipes.

See you in the forums. :)

Welcome Linz.

What is a Lurcher? I grew up on the Adam's Family, so I'm imagining a Frankensteinish dog. I don't think we use word Lurcher here in the US. I guess the dogs don't mind being called Lurchers. But it seems kind of mean. ;)

Reactions: Linz2016
welcome Lindsay!

You and your dogs are very welcome here and we look forward to your contributions and your recipes. There are lots of recipes here to choose from, and even the "what did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner" forums often have pictures and ingredients listed so check them out.

Emma JC

Reactions: Linz2016
Welcome Linz.

What is a Lurcher? I grew up on the Adam's Family, so I'm imagining a Frankensteinish dog. I don't think we use word Lurcher here in the US. I guess the dogs don't mind being called Lurchers. But it seems kind of mean. ;)

A lurcher is a cross between any sighthound and traditionally a terrier or collie, although sighthound x Labradors are becoming increasingly popular. They're also historically known as the "poor man's greyhound". :)

Milly's a cross between a whippet and a Jack Russel Terrier.

Reactions: Lou
welcome Lindsay!

You and your dogs are very welcome here and we look forward to your contributions and your recipes. There are lots of recipes here to choose from, and even the "what did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner" forums often have pictures and ingredients listed so check them out.

Emma JC

Thank you for the welcome.

I think I usually just throw things together and hope for the best. :D But I do have a few pics of results when I have followed recipes. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
A lurcher is a cross between any sighthound and traditionally a terrier or collie, although sighthound x Labradors are becoming increasingly popular. They're also historically known as the "poor man's greyhound". :)

Milly's a cross between a whippet and a Jack Russel Terrier.

I bet Millie is exciting.

Seems like a Lurcher is a pretty broad term. must include hundreds of possible combos. Maybe more if you allow for puppies that have two different kinds of Lurcher parents. *

Millie is a lot larger than I expected. Honey is really cute. Thanks for the pics.

* A while back I ran into a lady walking her dog and I asked what it was and she said it was a Great Dane/Labodour/Newfoundland/Setter mix. I laughed and said how could she be sure of that combo. And she told me that she had her dog DNA tested. Only in Califonia.

• Haha
Seems like a Lurcher is a pretty broad term. must include hundreds of possible combos. Maybe more if you allow for puppies that have two different kinds of Lurcher parents. *

Millie is a lot larger than I expected. Honey is really cute. Thanks for the pics.

* A while back I ran into a lady walking her dog and I asked what it was and she said it was a Great Dane/Labodour/Newfoundland/Setter mix. I laughed and said how could she be sure of that combo. And she told me that she had her dog DNA tested. Only in Califonia.

Yeah, they're a type, rather than a breed. :) And thank you for the kind words.

Dog DNA tests have been around for years - even on this side of the pond. ;) I considered getting my last dog, Max (classic Heinz 57 variety) tested, but decided against it in the end. It wouldn't have made any difference to us, knowing what his genetic makeup consisted of, and the tests at that time were considered pretty inaccurate.

Of course, with the passage of time, and the different tests available nowadays, so m will no doubt be more accurate than others. :)

I bet Millie is exciting.
Fun fact: Greyhounds were bred with terriers to make Whippets. Hence, some Whippets have the mellow temperament of a greyhound, and some the curious, often hyper temperament of a terrier. About 20 yrs ago I had a Whippet of the latter type who had a sister from the same litter of the former type. The breeder's kennel lost almost all of her dogs except for these 2 and a handful more, which included Afghans to parvo, so my ex-H & I used to like to think that we "rescued" him. It was a stretch, but that's what we told ourselves at the time (we were very clearly shopping for a pure bred Whippet, so, not really).

Now, the doggie I have now - a German Shepherd mix - is a rescue. He was found wandering in the middle of the desert in Palmdale, CA as a puppy, literally emaciated. I have heard that's where people go to dump their dogs. He is absolutely the best dog I've ever had - and I'll be taking an indefinite hiatus from have any pets after him (unless of course I come into millions - then I'll set up a sanctuary for rescued farm animals).

Welcome, Lindsay! Cute puppers!! :D