A quickie

Terry Belle

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello

I'm new here and relatively new to veganism.

Making food for me is generally not challenging. I've got a couple of good dishes, plenty of ways to vary them end plenty of ideas to pick up on as times come.

I am how ever a bit short when it comes to preparing lightening quick dishes.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would share these quickies for me, and every body else, to stay full, satisfied and inspired. I'll of course add to the pool my self as ideas comes up.

I'm sorry btw. if this thread has already been up.

Cheers

A quick one I make sometimes is polenta and black beans. Get a polenta roll preferably preseasoned. You can find it in the produce section. I like the basil one. Cut them into thick circles and fry in a bit of olive oil. Only takes about two minutes a side. Get a can of black beans and drain them you can rinse them as well if you like. Add it to some tomato sauce and season with whatever you like. I use paprika and garlic powder. Heat it through and add the polenta after it's dabbed with paper towel. Mash it up a bit if you want or leave it in circles. I prefer mashed since it incorporates well. Turns out really good.

When cooking freezer friendly meals we cook enough for 2 or 3 meals and freeze some. Stir fries are usually quick. I love pasta with just a simple dressing of olive oil and garlic with some cherry tomatoes tossed through and a few basil or coriander leaves

Any of the above and beans on toast, jacket potatoes with beans, salad etc. I think it's important to have some precooked frozen food in the freezer.

Any of the above and beans on toast, jacket potatoes with beans, salad etc. I think it's important to have some precooked frozen food in the freezer.
Precooked, forzen food in the freezer is actually not that bad an idea.

Served with brown rice:

Heat some nice quality olive oil. First add red curry paste first to the heated oil and shortly after vinegar* and honey.
Add choped onion, garlic and ginger and fry them until they're soft. By this point, this should be close to candy.
Add different cabbages and kale chopped roughly. I've had easy access to white cabbage, kale and lacinato kale and that combination has worked perfectly. Others might work just as well.
Add salt and pepper after adding the greens. Stir it all together.
Add some balck beans, and just as the greens are ready, add a can of coconut milk.
When the coconut milk is heated the dish is ready.

On the side, mango chutney, sambal oelek and fried bread.

Peanut butter & banana on toast
307 calories

2 slices granary bread

1 small banana

½ tsp cinnamon

1Tbsp crunchy peanut butter

Toast bread and slice banana.

Layer banana on one slice of toast and dust with cinnamon.

Spread the second slice with peanut butter, then sandwich the two together and eat straight away.

Quinoa cooks pretty fast (but please rinse it first) - or you can keep extra quinoa prepared in advance. Quinoa can be used as a flavorful, nutty alternative to rice which perks up more basic dishes. It's a complete protein too. For example with just a can of drained green beans and a can of Italian style stewed tomatoes stirred together and warmed, and some salted cooked quinoa, you can have a light lunch for a couple of people, or add pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or drained canned beans for extra protein.

Quinoa, like rice, can also be sweetened as a breakfast alternative if you run out of oatmeal or only have time to reheat pre-cooked quinoa, it's quicker. You can add applesauce and cinnamon and almond pieces, or eat it with soy milk and brown sugar.