Leather in cars

VegWedge

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello Fellow Vegans!

I'm relatively new to veganism. Went vegan overnight because an overwhelming need to have a better relationship with the planet, as well as a diagnosis of being intolerant to cow's milk and eggs. The decision was simple, and have been vegetarian for a number of years following...anyway...I digress...

I have owned the same car since before becoming vegan, and I comes with half leather interior, and the centre of the seats are alcantara (synthetic fabric). No other interior option was available with this model and the car was bought used. Since becoming vegan, I considered replacing the leather with full alcantara...I got a quote of £2500...ouch. I then purchased some fabric to at least replace the gator around the gear knob and the handbrake. Got some lovely kimono fabric.

My dilemma is...I could replace the leather, but it would just end up in the bin. The cow would have died for nothing, or I can keep the leather, and just treat it with respect by keeping it clean, good condition and respect the cow who died to make my seats.

Which option is best morally?

Thanks! ☺️

My car is 14 years old, I bought it two years ago. I needed a good running, good in snow, reliable car I could well afford. It belonged to a customer of my mechanic, and he let me know about it. It has full leather seats.
I'm really quite pragmatic about being vegan. While I don't ever feel an animal should be used, the fact that this car had them while being the very very best of me options in every other way, I could not care much less if they were human skin

I put finances and circumstances on how I feel "possible and practical" apply.
If I had the means to be more choosy, I would of course have chosen the better option, but I'm not.
You have to do what makes you feel right, and not end up wishing you saved the money for car repairs!

If you have a buy nothing group in your area you could offer it up. I am of the mindset that leather that exists has not reason to be trashed

My dilemma is...I could replace the leather, but it would just end up in the bin. The cow would have died for nothing, or I can keep the leather, and just treat it with respect by keeping it clean, good condition and respect the cow who died to make my seats.

Which option is best morally?

Thanks! ☺️

I think Used Leather is ok morally. IMHO, you just keep it.

This had me remembering:
When I first transitioned to vegan I was far more sensitive than I am now. I think this is pretty common. I used to look up every ingredient, wouldn't use things without knowing if the enzymes in bread were plant sourced or not for instance. I'd have obsessed about the sources of sugar in things (in the US half of all cane sugar goes through bone char). I actually started to feel worn down when I took interest in one old poster on another forum who made very good points on how little personal purity means to saving animals. I became much less strict about what I termed vegan for myself, and having that leeway, I have stayed without meat eggs and dairy.

I probably would have passed on the car I now have, spent more money, and ... from what I know about used cars would have regretted it.

Sometimes you need to prioritize what fits your needs in order to do your best.

I did make the decision to keep the leather in place, to save it from the bin and respect the cow whose life was sacrificed. I was curious as to other vegan's thoughts had they been in the same situation. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Andy_T
I'm with the keep it, don't change it crowd. If you wish to feel a bit better about the situation then take a small portion of what it would cost you to change it and donate it to an animal/environmental charity.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Just my two cents: Yes, I also think you should just keep the leather upholstery. Think of it this way, what service does it do the already dead animal(s) that gave their lives, by removing it and throwing it away? Throwing it away would actually do the animals that died a disservice, in my humble opinion. It's not like it will get re-used. I get the impression it will be destroyed in the process.

I will go further in saying that in applying this philosophy, I don't buy used leather. I kept what I already owned before going vegan, because it was already too late for those animals, but that doesn't mean I want more. I take a lot of pride in not contributing to the animal death camp industry. What would help is never buying or eating animal products again in your lifetime. At the end of the day, you have to do what feels right for you.