Vegan cars

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I wasn't vegan when I bought my car but I didn't think leather seats were a selling point. I think my year was the last year Honda had fabric seats. It does have a leather steering wheel and stick shift.

I think those two things were the only leather used in some of the Teslas. I'm pretty sure Elon Musk talked about getting rid of those two leather things too. Vegan cars are now in fashion, popular, and in demand.

BMW, Volkswagen, and Volvo are all big on sustainability.

it's heartening and maybe indicates a change in perceptions that cars are now touted or even bragged about being vegan.

The new Mustang which has made a bit of media splash recently is claiming to be vegan.

I've always disliked leather in either cars or used for furniture. I have a small Peugeot and the seats are made out of fabric and the steering wheel is made of plastic.

I believe that it's only the high end luxury cars that have leather seats and steering wheels. I think that few people put enough thought into what leather is and that it's also such a cruel industry.:confused:

By definition, most cars are not exactly "sustainable" or "eco friendly", regardless how vegan their interior is.

Unfortunately, it is hard to get a cheap car that does not have at least some leather applications, typically the steering wheel or similar. Even if you use public transport, the handgrips you need to hold to be safe might be made from dead animal parts :mad:

My electric bicycle is 100% leather-free :p

By definition, most cars are not exactly "sustainable" or "eco friendly", regardless how vegan their interior is.

Well sure. You don't even have to use the word "most" in front of cars.
But no one includes adjectives like 100% sustainable, or Perfectly eco-friendly.
Maybe you can read it as "more sustainable", or "more eco-friendly."

Even your electric bike isn't Exactly sustainable or eco-friendly. The manufacture of the frame takes energy and metal. And even if the frame is made from recycled materials and constructed in a solar-powered factory, the rare earths in the battery are not perfectly eco-friendly or sustainable.

But I think it's a real plus that car manufacturers are now seeing "vegan", "leather-free", and "sustainable" as selling points and the consumers are asking.

The car industry may have passed a tipping point without me noticing. I've been reading about Volkswagen's plans for the I.D. models to be carbon neutral.

Note to @Andy_T, notice they use the phrase "more eco-friendly" :)

But I think it's a real plus that car manufacturers are now seeing "vegan", "leather-free", and "sustainable" as selling points and the consumers are asking.
I do, too. If only for the reason that people get the idea that "vegan" refers to more than just what you put in your mouth. Due to all the headlines about famous people going vegan, when really they're simply adopting a plant-based diet (usually for some temporary period of time), whilst otherwise wearing leather or whatever, I'm sure the idea of a vegan car has some people scratching their heads.

Last edited:
Maybe some of the newer cars are vegan, but what if you only have enough money to buy the cheapest of the used cars? Kinda where I am, lol. Even then, I still need to wait a few months. Just trying to get my first. Best I can do is no leather seats.

Reactions: Hilary
Maybe some of the newer cars are vegan, but what if you only have enough money to buy the cheapest of the used cars? Kinda where I am, lol. Even then, I still need to wait a few months. Just trying to get my first. Best I can do is no leather seats.
I think used cars are automatically vegan. :)

by not buying a new car you are not requiring them to do more manufacturing, more mining, more transportation. Very good for the environment.

Even if it has leather seats, you didn't buy them. The first owner bought them.