A funny discussion about whether EU should ban "meat" names

YovaAndI

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello, my friends!

Recently there's been a lot of noise about the proposed banning of "meat" names from vegan food. So, I decided to talk about it with my auditory hallucination, Yova (a.k.a. as Jesus Christ when she acts as male), and see where the conversation leads us. So here's the conclusion:

Personally I don't like the term "vegan meat." Do you know why? Because it's vegan, therefore it's made out of plants! Yet, there's flesh (meat) on top of it. It jerks my vegan values off. I don't ever want to consider my dinner "humanely killed" in any way. I'd prefer my plants just cut or sliced. So what I'm saying is that basically the stupid meat / dairy / egg industry can have their stupid names through their EU friends.

However, here's the problem. People are kind of ignorant of what animal products are. So to be fair they should change them too. First off, you should start dealing with the dilemma whether your meat is killed in a compassionate way or slaughtered like an animal. No pun intended! So, they should start labeling their animal products very carefully. People should start saying something like "I had my compassionately killed meat today and it was wonderful." If you really want to be at least a bit honest or a little more compassionate towards animals, however, you can go with "slaughtered like a pig kind of pork." Or maybe you should go with the "(probably almost) never ever seen sunlight kind of a chicken's egg?" How about the "purposefully bred and impregnated over and over kind of a cow's milk." I'm 100% sure that people are really thinking that "grass-fed meat" is coming from a grass-fed cow. It's mostly soy. So there's quite the confusion! The first step is going for the fairest to meat-eaters and least confusing "soy meat," but now it has GMO all over it. So let's go at least with the accurate "GMO-soy meat." So what do we do from now on? It's kind of obvious. Change the names of products to something which resembles the true meaning of it in a more careful and meaningful way.

Another thing which we should discuss here is the very often used term "meat." It's from a dead animal. If you're a real person, and most people claim that they want to eat meat for its fundamental nutritional value and taste and yet not have an animal killed if they can do something about it, you have to start labeling your meat as "flesh" so it grosses them out at least a bit. "Flesh" or even "dead flesh" for those who are a bit more "humane" would be the better description. And finally let's not forget about the very often confusing "flesh and organs" sausage.

So leave your "meat" names out of our lunch! We don't want them! I want the "soy milky drink," since I know it's just milky like the milky way. I can also have the "vegan mate" which doesn't resemble meat (is the named still not banned and made into "flesh?") one bit. I can even have the "vegg" because there are absolutely no eggs inside it, and it has our most important victory's "v." And finally, let's not forget about my "vheese." It may sound a bit like the "impregnated milk kind of a hard substance," but that's just a coincidence!

So do you still want to keep your "meat" labels on your food? Let's discuss in a funny way! :D

(I also posted this on my recently started blog, which is about God, Christianity, veganism, spirituality, schizophrenia, video games, manga, nutrition, healthy foods, and many, many more, so if you have interest in it, please look at my website : https://yovayova.home.blog/ )

God bless!

Last edited:
Well the word "meat" just means food, it wasn't until the 13th century that it could also be used to specify flesh. The xtian* biblio even calls plant matter "meat" in earlier translations.

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=meat

Interesting read there ^^

* I always found it funny when xtians get angry over the words "xtian" and "xmas". The christian church actually came up with those labels as a convenient shorthand... Sorta like Brits getting their pants in a twist over the word "Soccer". "Soccer" is a British invented term for Association Football, :) .

Personally I like what Sainsbury did when a carnist complained about their new brand of vegan cheeses, so they decided to call them Gary instead of vegan cheese :D. I do that now, I like to come up with fun names for vegan (insert carnist thing here).

example:
Covfefe = vegan cheese
Burder = Vegan mince
So I make Covfefe Burders every few weeks. Even my roomate has gotten on board with this :)

Some other fun names for vegan versions?

Mario = Mozzarella?
Salad Finger = Sausages?
Pepe = Pepperoni?

Reactions: Forest Nymph
This is pretty much my thought process since I first heard of this ridiculousness. In all seriousness, I believe the counter action should be that consumers demand full transparency in *every* label, then. "Milk" should be labeled very specifically as "Cow Milk" And words like "Chuck Roast" need to be labeled "Bovine (Cow) Shoulder." etc etc. Why do they get special privileges to be deceptive?

My Minor is English Lit. Meat just meant food of any kind until a couple hundred years ago. I don't have a problem with the word necessarily which is why I often say flesh to mean animal body parts.

On the other hand I've been known to chalk Meat is Murder in the campus quad because it's catchy and most people in the US associate the word with animal limbs.

The other stuff you're talking about would be funny for activism but will never actually happen in agriculture since they obviously gear advertising to make their "products" seem as palatable and ethical as possible even if it's not true.

Reactions: FlandersOD
Well the word "meat" just means food, it wasn't until the 13th century that it could also be used to specify flesh. The xtian* biblio even calls plant matter "meat" in earlier translations.

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=meat

Interesting read there ^^

* I always found it funny when xtians get angry over the words "xtian" and "xmas". The christian church actually came up with those labels as a convenient shorthand... Sorta like Brits getting their pants in a twist over the word "Soccer". "Soccer" is a British invented term for Association Football, :) .

Personally I like what Sainsbury did when a carnist complained about their new brand of vegan cheeses, so they decided to call them Gary instead of vegan cheese :D. I do that now, I like to come up with fun names for vegan (insert carnist thing here).

example:
Covfefe = vegan cheese
Burder = Vegan mince
So I make Covfefe Burders every few weeks. Even my roomate has gotten on board with this :)

Some other fun names for vegan versions?

Mario = Mozzarella?
Salad Finger = Sausages?
Pepe = Pepperoni?

Lol @ covfefe and salad fingers!