Nutrition & Diet 10 - a - Day

Hmm, 10-a-day might mean no snacks, lol. I can do seven easily in the summer with all the fresh veggies and fruit, though.

Ahhh...thats better:starshower:

Had my '20 a day' today!!!

Been feeling a bit 'yucky' after over indulging at the 'feast' that was the Brighton Vegan Festival at the weekend!!!

So came back from the supermarket today laden with as much fruit and veg as I could carry! A liquidiser full of kale and apple juice based smoothie later and I am begining to feel a bit more human.:woo:

Reactions: PTree15
I easily get around 15 portions a day. I eat a lot of veg, but not so much fruit (i try to get 2-3 portions of fruit a day).

I easily get around 15 portions a day. I eat a lot of veg, but not so much fruit (i try to get 2-3 portions of fruit a day).

You should join the Chovie and myself in the green smoothie fan club, SR.

It's a good way of packing more fruit into the day for those of us who are more vegetablisticaly inclined.

Think Chovie will agree on our personal hi-lite of the Festival, btw ..

We spy a stall with some real weird dried plant materials in them and enquire "what are those?"

Long pitch from which we can only deduce that despite there being no such thing as 'veganicaly grown' these things were veganicaly grown somewhere in Scotland follows ...

Us: "No. We meant what are they for?"

Guy on stall: "I've absolutely no idea whatsoever .."

What's wrong with frozen fruits? I can see how canned fruits are not as healthy due to the added sugar and syrups, but frozen fruit is usually just plain fruit.

Reactions: KLS52
I freeze leftover fruit and veg all the time to use in smoothies and soups, but I must get more than the recommended amount daily anyway.:)

I've been getting at least five a day, for a few months now, in veg anyway. Not that keen on fruit, except tomatoes.

I easily use a pound of vegetables or more in my lunches and dinners, plus I usually have one or two pieces of fruit as a mid-morning snack. I suspect I hit 10 servings or more a day, no problem.

Aaaww I really wanted to go to the Brighton vegan fayre but I was working on the Saturday and Sunday was Mother's day so I was prebooked : (

Anyway I dont think I eat enough food a day to get 10 portions in, even if I ate nothing but vegetables all day. 5 is fine, but 10 I cant see happening.

Aaaww I really wanted to go to the Brighton vegan fayre but I was working on the Saturday and Sunday was Mother's day so I was prebooked : (

Sorry you couldn't make it Liz you did miss a treat. CG and I were saying that it was bad timing clashing with Mother's Day weekend.

Saturday was heaving but Sunday was noticeably more quiet. I was lucky enough to convince my children to defer Mother's Day to next Sunday! ;)

I am Feeling guilty as I completely forgot to mention the event to my "New" vegan workmate so I am going to surprise her tomorrow with a coronation chicken sandwich and cheese from the stash CG treated me to!:)

I prefer my vegetables to not be running around the place.
suverade.jpg

I eat more vegetables than fruit but exactly how much is "10 a day"? Are we talking servings? How much broccoli or carrots is a serving, 1/2 cup or a whole cup? It seems easier with fruit...an average size apple, banana or pear. Ten a day seems like a lot of fruit and vegetables. I wouldn't normally have three fruits in one day and to add seven more veggies to that seems like a lot. Help!!! :)

ETA: Never mind...I just saw the serving guide that shyvas posted. I am not doing so badly, then.

Last edited:
I just saw that, too. I guess I'm doing better than I thought. :)

Saying frozen fruit and veg is "bad for health" and "increases chance of death" is ludicrous in my opinion, but even if they turn out to be right, most of my veg and fruit intake is fresh anyway. The canned comment makes sense, as it's almost always loaded up with sugar, syrup, and salt, not to mention all the BPA risks.

I have a serving of fruit with each meal, and usually a banana or orange for a snack, and then I just pack in a load of veggies all day long. I grate zucchini into my oatmeal, I snack on baby carrots, snap peas, cucumbers, celery, and broccoli during the day, and at lunch or dinner most of my plate is veggies. I also try to eat 'rainbows' as much as I can. When it's just snacking I'll just grab whatever veggie is closest, but in mealtimes I try to have every colour incorporated.