Your thoughts on legal cannabis

Should marijuana be legalized?

• Yes

• No

• I couldn't care less

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm pretty sure that using the word overdose with THC is medically/scientifically incorrect. It also might be purposefully misleading.
but yes the fact that edibles generally look and taste like candy can be problematic when kids are involved.
the edibles I buy are in child proof containers. They are such good containers that I can't open them. In several cases I have resorted to using tools. I usually get it open and transfer my edibles into a jar or can. I do not have kids in my house.
I don't have any evidence of this but I think Flintstone vitamins pose a more serious risk cause the vitamins are in the house with kids. And some vitamins are actually toxic in large quantities.
Maybe a more serious risk is to dogs. its seems like "my dog ate my brownies" is a common complaint and brownies can make a dog seriously ill - even without the THC.
THC does have some legitimate medical uses. but most THC is consumed strictly for recreational purposes. CBD might even have medical uses, too. but not many studies have actually shown anything and the claims sound more like snake oil than anything legit.
The high from edibles is different and if there is an issue it probably comes from the delayed effect. Smoking is close to instanteous. Before you could get too high you probably would forget where you put the lighter, or forget how to use a lighter. or just curl up and go to sleep.
Edibles take 30 minutes or more to take effect.
some of the products that are meant for pain relief are very concentrated, too. I remember early on I bought a chocolate bar that had over 1000 mg. I thought it had 100. When I got home and realized my mistake I had a helluva time trying to cut up the squares into sixteenths. Oh, and I think there is a real hazard with relying on stoners to do the math. If NASA engineers can misplace a decimal - just imagine how likely it is for a couple of potheads doing it right.

Maybe the big plus with legalizing marijuana is the tax revenue. Just in California, and just for last year, the tax revenue went over 1 billion dollars. thats a lot of infrastructure (or child care).

Reactions: FlandersOD
I'm pretty sure that using the word overdose with THC is medically/scientifically incorrect. It also might be purposefully misleading.
I have to disagree Lou. Even the dictionary meaning of the word 'overdose' fits and is not misleading in the least bit regarding THC. People wind up in emergency rooms every day from edible overdoses. You will find countless online references to marijuana overdoes. I don't make this stuff up.

Reactions: Lou
It's an interesting subject (legalization), well for me anyway. I puffed away for a few years and it did help me give up the booze. Then I chucked the dope, I noticed now I can't even stand the smell of it.
Ironically, I opposed it for years but my views have changed in that respect.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I've only tried it a couple of times in my life, and I can't say that I have a strong urge to have it all the time. Everyone I know has tried it and no one does it on a regular basis except for one friend who does anything but work.

Why not? If it helps people overcome pain and make their lives eaier...then why not?

First off, legalizing cannabis means that people who can benefit from its medicinal properties can finally get access to it. There's research showing that cannabis can help with things like chronic pain, epilepsy, and even side effects from cancer treatments. It's great that people can explore these potential health benefits without fear of breaking the law. But it's not just about health. Legal cannabis also opens up a whole new industry with tons of job opportunities. Plus, the taxes from cannabis sales can be used to fund important stuff like education and healthcare. It's a win-win situation for everyone. Another huge benefit is that it takes some pressure off law enforcement. Instead of wasting time and resources on non-violent cannabis offenses, they can focus on more important things that actually keep us safe. Of course, it's important to use cannabis responsibly, like cannabis for arthritis and know the risks. Educating people about dosage, potential side effects, and not driving while high is crucial. We want everyone to enjoy the benefits while staying safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
And like soft drinks, it's use among children should be strongly discouraged and adults should only indulge in it sparingly if ever.
Where do you see anybody strongly discouraging soft drinks?
I only ever see Coke (and others) adverts….