Worried about my dog

Veganismo

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My 9.5 year old rescue mutt, an unbelievably healthy, happy, active, bouncy Montana dog, is going through a long series of tests at the vet. Her annual blood test showed creatinine at 1.4 (within normal limits of .3 to 1.7 but substantially higher than last year's .8) and elevated BUN (35 when normal is 7 to 31). The BUN/Creatinine ratio was 23.6 which I think is within normal limits.

The increase in creatinine and elevated BUN led to a urinalyses to check specific gravity, which appears to be fine at 10.5. BUT, they found elevated protein in the urine (maybe would have been ok with higher specific gravity concentration, but at 10.5 is questionable).

She's been eating a 25% Halo/75% V-Dog mix for 2 years, along with whatever she can scrounge from the neighbors (likely Milk bones and Costco's version of same).

So, now the vet is having the lab do another test on the urine sample they already have (forget exactly what) related to the protein levels.

Part of me thinks that my vet is chasing around a lot of marginal results (within normal limits creatinine, slightly elevated BUN--who doesn't have one or two things out of normal limits on a 30 test panel--normal specific gravity, etc.); the other part of me is freaking out.

Any thoughts? Anyone experienced anything similar?

She also gets dasaquin glucosamine chondroitin almost daily, and a taste of most things I eat (the last bite of toast, bites of banana, apple, etc.), all vegan.

Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Sorry your pup is having some issues. I think it’s good to try and be thorough. I’m not familiar with the numbers you mention or dogs in general. But the sooner they catch something the easier it is to keep it under control. Good luck, try not to worry too much and keep us updated.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
So, the follow up tests on the urine found high levels of protein (3.5 when it should be .5 or below). From what I can gather, 3.5 is pretty serious, indicative of well-developed kidney problems (not too sure about that). We're on to an ultrasound on the kidneys to rule out any kind of mass or tumor (or maybe stones?). If that is ruled out I think it will be concluded that we just have run-of-the-mill chronic kidney disease. I've already been given a big ole bag of kidney diet (Hills) which is low protein but of course not vegan. It is 12% protein compared to 24% for V-dog and 21% for Halo.

The thing that makes me nervous is that she is completely asymptomatic. I know when my dog is not feeling well, and we ain't there. She's full of energy, runs and chases squirrels all day, moves 200 feet ahead of me on the trail constantly looking back for me to catch up, BEGS me to throw her ball, etc. She hasn't lost an ounce in the past year (gained a pound actually); none of the signs of kidney problems. I don't like the idea of completely changing her diet, etc., but I guess I have to let go and trust.

Or get a second opinion. Secretly. Without pissing off my wonderful vet.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
So, the follow up tests on the urine found high levels of protein (3.5 when it should be .5 or below). From what I can gather, 3.5 is pretty serious, indicative of well-developed kidney problems (not too sure about that). We're on to an ultrasound on the kidneys to rule out any kind of mass or tumor (or maybe stones?). If that is ruled out I think it will be concluded that we just have run-of-the-mill chronic kidney disease. I've already been given a big ole bag of kidney diet (Hills) which is low protein but of course not vegan. It is 12% protein compared to 24% for V-dog and 21% for Halo.

The thing that makes me nervous is that she is completely asymptomatic. I know when my dog is not feeling well, and we ain't there. She's full of energy, runs and chases squirrels all day, moves 200 feet ahead of me on the trail constantly looking back for me to catch up, BEGS me to throw her ball, etc. She hasn't lost an ounce in the past year (gained a pound actually); none of the signs of kidney problems. I don't like the idea of completely changing her diet, etc., but I guess I have to let go and trust.

Or get a second opinion. Secretly. Without pissing off my wonderful vet.

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering so many problems and understand your concern.We want what is best for our pets as they depend on us human beings for their well being.
What is it that makes you want a second opinion as you seem to think that you have a good vet ?:)
I would also kindly suggest that you ask the same above question on a reputable pet forum. I've seen some excellent ones
when I was searching for some answers when I had my own pet.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52