World's largest vertical farm

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
World's largest vertical farm grows without soil, sunlight or water in Newark
Whether it even qualifies as a “farm” is a matter of taste. The greens will be manufactured using a technology called aeroponics, a technique in which crops are grown in vertical stacks of plant beds, without soil, sunlight or water.
The farm, built in the economically depressed New Jersey city promises new jobs, millions of dollars in public-private investment, and an array of locally grown leafy greens for sale. The company has spent some $30m to bring to reality a new breed of “green agriculture” that seeks to produce more crops in less space while minimizing environmental damage, even if it means completely divorcing food production from the natural ecosystem.

AeroFarms and other companies developing similar controlled growing climates claim to be transforming agriculture. Proponents of vertical farming call it the “Third Green Revolution”, analogizing the developments to Apple and Tesla. They tout the potential of such technology to address food shortages as the world population continues to grow.

Reactions: Second Summer
Wow, very interesting, but I'll pass, for now. What grabbed me first, is the cloth made from recycled plastic. I don't like the idea of my vegetables growing on plastic but I didn't get through entire article so I want to know more about that. For me, personally, I'm skeptical. I like the old fashioned way of growing food with soil and real sunshine, but it certainly is a very crafty idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would, however, question the "affordable" verdict a little bit, as the starting set including the lights will set you back about 100 EUR ... IMO that is still "hipsters who brew their own beer" territory ;)