World vegetarian day

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It was October 1 and we missed it.
:(

World Vegan day is November 1. Let's all put it on our calendar.
I wonder if they thought about it being the day after Halloween. Not sure if there is some kind of advantage to that.

Really, Nov. 1? With all that milk chocolate and caramel still floating around? Who decided on that? It should be Nov 3 or 4, when everyone feels disgusted with themselves for eating so much garbage.:p

• Haha
Reactions: hopeful
With all that turkey and gravy still in the fridge?! Oh well, if we're waiting for people to not have garbage in their fridge it might as well be Brovember 33rd.

Wikipedia says:

The event was established in 1994 by Louise Wallis, then Chair of The Vegan Society in the United Kingdom, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the organisation and the coining of the terms "vegan" and "veganism". Speaking in 2011, Louise Wallis said: "We knew the Society had been founded in November 1944 but didn’t know the exact date, so I decided to go for 1 November, partly because I liked the idea of this date coinciding with Samhain/Halloween and the Day of the Dead – traditional times for feasting and celebration, both apt and auspicious."

Thanksgiving day can happen whenever you want. It's just that in the US we get a long weekend. One day to prepare. One day to overindulge and two days to recover. :)

No, really. Thanksgiving is an American thing. We do not get a harvest festival holiday. North America is the only country in the whole world that celebrates it.

It's just that in the US we get a long weekend.

Uhm, it's not just the US. Although, while we may celebrate Thanksgiving earlier in Canada, in October, we still make a long weekend out of it :)

Thanksgiving is an American thing.

I think it may have originated in the US, but us Canucks adopted the holiday back in 1879. It's considered a stat holiday here.

Don't be too surprised, but we also celebrate Christmas here too ;)

When a thread goes off the tracks like this, I'm not sure whether to groan or laugh.

Although only NORTH Americans call it Thanksgiving day, it's just a day of thanksgiving. Celebrated by people all over the world, on different days. Basically its a type of Harvest Festival. The UK has a harvest festival, too. I think many cultures have one or something like a harvest festival.

And in some ways, it makes sense to have Vegetarian Day or Vegan days right around the "harvest festival".

And speaking of special days, is it true that in the UK the whole month of January is to commemorate Vegans? Veganauary.