Wool

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Wool...I'd never really thought about it before. It's nice and warm, that's about it.
Is everybody here against it? Does anyone still wear it?
Thanks in advance for your opinions xxx

I would not wear it or buy anything that uses it. Sheep farmed for their wool are much like cows farmed for dairy, they will end up in the slaughterhouse and the process of getting the wool is stressful and unpleasant for them. There are great synthetic insulators that are completely exploitation free :D

Don't buy or wear it for reasons LS said. Also, on a factory farming scale, shearing is done carelessly and many sheep end up stressed out and even wounded from the process.

I have no theoretical problem, however, with someone using the wool they have shaven off of something like a pet sheep. Sheep do need to be shorn, and if people want to use the wool afterwards then that's fine by me.

I don't buy or wear it. Now, if I had sheep or alpaca and sheared them myself, I wouldn't have an issue with it, just as I have no issue with using the eggs my chickens and ducks lay.

But even then, it's not vegan, and it's one of the reasons I don't call myself vegan.

Reactions: KLS52
I don't buy it same as the posters above. But I do have a wool jacket from before I went vegan and I still wear it when the weather is right for it. It is wearing out though so eventually I will replace it with a vegan alternative.

I've seen sheep being sheared (shorn) on farms and I thought it seemed intrusive and they seemed a bit distressed. I have always hated the scratchy feeling of wool anyway so I just buy fleecy clothes if I want to be warm.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
I only really have two wool jumpers that I wear pretty much all winter long. I'm not sure how I feel about wearing them now. I know that I bought them years ago so what's done is done and nothing will benefit by me giving them away. They will probably stay until they need replacing...much like most of my footwear! xxx

Most vegans do that, wear out their old stuff. But some feel uncomfortable with animal products on them, or don't wish to give free advertising to the makers by wearing them. In that case I would at least donate them to a charity shop instead of throwing them away, so somebody else who might have bought it new will at least not contribute more to demand if they get one second hand.

I HATE wool why do they put 8% wool in otherwise lovely jumpers and hats? Like you even notice it with that low percentage!

Anyway yeah dont wear wool for pretty much the same reasons Lord Snot said.

Wool is easy to avoid, I see no reason to keep wearing it. I always used to struggle getting a winter coat, but now parkas are in fashion thats easier.

Nope, for the above reasons and because of the museling they do to them. It's horrifying.

I feel oddly more uncomfortable with my wool jumpers than my suede boots. I think I'm being silly now though :-/ maybe it's just that I don't want it wrapped around my but don't mind stuff on my feet so much xxx

I HATE wool why do they put 8% wool in otherwise lovely jumpers and hats? Like you even notice it with that low percentage!

I hate this SO MUCH! Last year I wanted a hoodie dress that was super cute, and a FB friend who had one said it was very comfortable. When I was looking online to find out where I could get one, I checked the materials, and the pocket linings were 5% angora (rabbit). Not even the whole dress, just the ******* pocket linings! I think I was more angry than I was disappointed. :(

I have a wool coat that I'm about to donate to a charity, but don't have any other wool clothing. I always found it itchy and uncomfortable, so I avoided it. Sadly, most of the area rugs in my house are wool, and now I sometimes get sad about that, but I purchased them before I was even vegetarian or knew anything about how the sheep are treated. Hopefully I'll never need new rugs, but if I do I'll look into alternate materials.

I hate this SO MUCH! Last year I wanted a hoodie dress that was super cute, and a FB friend who had one said it was very comfortable. When I was looking online to find out where I could get one, I checked the materials, and the pocket linings were 5% angora (rabbit). Not even the whole dress, just the ****ing pocket linings! I think I was more angry than I was disappointed. :(

I have a wool coat that I'm about to donate to a charity, but don't have any other wool clothing. I always found it itchy and uncomfortable, so I avoided it.

Ugh I hate the hidden angora!! They try to add it to so many winter clothing items!

I've always found wool itchy too and don't own anything made of it. Plus a lot of things made with wool seem to be lint/pet hair attractors. I try to avoid anything that might potentially be a dog hair magnet.

Any chance my 'wool' jumpers are safe. Just checked the labels and they are 100% acrylic. Does this mean fake wool?? Xxx

I love it when this happens :D The opposite of finding out there's leather etc in your clothes... when you pick up something and think "there's no way this is gonna be synthetic", and then it is and it's fairly cheap and you can buy it <3

I still have wool hiking socks that I had before I went vegan, so those are about the only animal things I wear. When they wear out, I will replace them with non-animal ones. I have slowly replaced non-vegan clothes and accessories over the years, but I'm still not done yet. It's a process, and I seriously hate to waste anything. Also, I was out of work for a while, so I couldn't just donate things and then replace them, though I'm doing more of that now.