With the push of a button

If you could, with the push of a button, improve the life of the poor tenfold, but at the same time

• Total voters
Saying you wouldn't do it because the rich, who already have more than they need, will get so much more is a prime example of cutting one's nose off to spite one's face.

People do that all the time, seems like a national pastime. :p

True... but define the basics.
Well, I'm thinking Third World poor, so clean water access, adequate food, clothing, shoes, safety, and shelter. Education on growing food, building shelters, plumbing, nutrition, hygiene, etc. I mean, that seems 10 times better than the conditions now.

Well, I'm thinking Third World poor, so clean water access, adequate food, clothing, shoes, safety, and shelter. Education on growing food, building shelters, plumbing, nutrition, hygiene, etc. I mean, that seems 10 times better than the conditions now.

True, I was thinking more US centric.

The rich already have more than they need, so making them richer isn't really that big of a deal. But, enabling the poor to have access to better food, medical care they probably couldn't afford before and being able to attend college is a big deal.

Reactions: RaccoonGuy
What's in it for me?
A 10 or 100 fold increase in the quality of your life. Unless, of course, your life is already perfect
think.gif
Plus you get to push a button
yes.gif

Reactions: kazyeeqen
If you could, with the push of a button, improve the life of the poor tenfold, but at the same time improve the life of the rich a hundredfold, would you do it?
I find it kind of telling how many people are equating the improvement of life with having more money.
The period of my life when I was happiest was when I was also poorest. It wasn't the most comfortable time of my life but it was the happiest.
I personally equate improvement of life with happiness, and the question asked says nothing about money.
Perhaps many of the rich would have their lives improve a hundredfold by the philanthropic joy of giving away of their money, or even the loss of it so they would have to work for a living.
I don't know what would improve their lives, but If I have the choice I wouldn't deny anyone something that would better their life while not harming others.

Hey!
I'm middle class. What about me. I'll be surrounded by all these improved people and feeling left out.

I find it kind of telling how many people are equating the improvement of life with having more money.
The period of my life when I was happiest was when I was also poorest. It wasn't the most comfortable time of my life but it was the happiest.
I personally equate improvement of life with happiness, and the question asked says nothing about money.
Perhaps many of the rich would have their lives improve a hundredfold by the philanthropic joy of giving away of their money, or even the loss of it so they would have to work for a living.
I don't know what would improve their lives, but If I have the choice I wouldn't deny anyone something that would better their life while not harming others.

It's not exactly money, but due to the way society is structured, the things you need to improve your quality of life (shelter, food, water, access to healthcare, and so on) generally cost money somewhere along the line. I've been happy when I've personally had what I considered to be 'no money', but I already had a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food there when I needed it. Me and my friends would find things to do together that didn't cost anything, and it was that companionship that made me happy and improved my quality of life, but you can bet your *** I would have been far less happy doing that stuff if I didn't get to eat some instant noodles and go to bed at home afterwards.

I assume this button would give the poor access to these basic needs in order to improve their quality of life. What's the flip point? Do the people that have all their basic needs, but a mountain of debt, get anything out of it? A reduction in my debts would definitely improve my quality of life, because I'd be less stressed. What would the rich get that would improve their quality of life so drastically? A really sweet puppy? New friends that aren't just after money? I dunno, I'm not rich by any standard, but I imagine that their quality of life would have less to do with what they need, and more to do with what they want. Anyway, I'd push the button.