Will you take the Liberation Pledge?

Will you ever take the Liberation Pledge?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Maybe, not at this time

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

nobody

Forum Legend
Reaction score

It's pledging to refuse to sit with people when they are eating meat. I can't do this because I have carnists in my life who buy me every vegan food product they see in the grocery store, it seems like. And it just wouldn't seem right to not sit with them and eat the vegan food they made me while they eat their meat.

I would also be afraid that people wouldn't like me and would think I'm a freak and I would fear I was giving plant based diets a bad name by making them seem abnormal.

On the other hand, I value consistency and it is consistent to not sit with people devouring the remains of baby/juvenile animals if you're morally opposed to it. It could potentially have the effect of making people realize they are doing something wrong. So maybe, not at this time.

Last edited:
I can pledge to do this. On a field trip I sat so far away from people eating animal products my professor asked if I was okay.

I'm not dependent on anyone to buy my food.

But I saw so many privileged college students offered a vegan option on that trip that I'm even more cynical than before. They were literally required to offer us vegan and gluten free options by California University laws.

And yet so many still ate meat, offered alternatives.

That's why I'm such an angry hard ***. In case anyone wonders, oh my gosh, why is FN so angry. ..it's because I see privileged people offered vegetarian or vegan options still not....even educated about animal agriculture and environment, or animal sentience. This is my plague on the entire world.

Sure I'll take the pledge. I may have to start the DXE presence in my community, though we have vegan club here thanks to PETA2.

I DO have these pragmatic compromises, like eating vegan food in non vegan restaurants, and supporting plant based for the environment, and loving the Vegan Climate Index on the stock market....in many ways I'm a Realist, a Pragmatist.

But honestly I think some of the "Pragmatists" are naive...those students choosing meat even when openly freely offered the vegetarian or vegan option, knowing what they know at the bare minimum about the environment, has made me a person I do not like.

It's pledging to refuse to sit with people when they are eating meat. I can't do this because I have carnists in my life who buy me every vegan food product they see in the grocery store, it seems like. And it just wouldn't seem right to not sit with them and eat the vegan food they made me while they eat their meat.

I would also be afraid that people wouldn't like me and would think I'm a freak and I would fear I was giving plant based diets a bad name by making them seem abnormal.

On the other hand, I value consistency and it is consistent to not sit with people devouring the remains of baby/juvenile animals if you're morally opposed to it. It could potentially have the effect of making people realize they are doing something wrong. So maybe, not at this time.

It is interesting to me that you bring this up, as I have recently been becoming better acquainted with the Homilies and Recognitions of Clement - approcraphal books shunned by Catholics and Protestants, but clung to by early Non-Pauline Christians. They are strongly pro-vegetarian/vegan, and dining with meat eaters is seen as danger. Now whether that's because the meat might have been sacrificed to an idol or whether just because it's meat I'm not sure of (perhaps both?). Peter advises against it, and in the book of Acts, this forms part of the confrontation with Saul/Paul. Interestingly, the book of Jude also makes references to it, as well as backing up the Homilies on various points.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Some of my friends have recently given me the "time to go" because they were going to eat (which means eating animal products to them), and I've never been preachy about it - so I figure it's because they don't want to uncomfortably acknowledge it isn't necessary to do so. I've never tried to shame them, nor have I been apologetic about being vegan. I'm not sure at this point whether it's harmful or helpful (to both me and those with whom I may sit to eat with) - so at this point I would hesitate. This might change in the future.

I can pledge to do this.
You will not sit down with your super supportive carnist family to a holiday meal, even if they have gone to the extra trouble of preparing a special vegan meal just for you? And even if they regularly buy you vegan desserts that you did not even ask for, just because they were thinking of you?