Wild Swimming.

Wild swimming is nice, springs with manatees, rivers, ponds and ocean. I guess some of that would not be considered "wild". In fL there just might be an alligator in that body of water.

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Wild swimming is nice, springs with manatees, rivers, ponds and ocean. I guess some of that would not be considered "wild". In fL there just might be an alligator in that body of water.
Oh, I remember snorkeling in the Florida Keys. There was this lagoon that had these pretty little florescent jelly fish.

Way off topic, but the alligator reference reminded me of something. Years ago I met a Floridian elementary school teacher. She told me that they they teach the kids that when being chased by an alligator they should run in circles because alligators can't make tight turns.

Is it true that alligators can't make tight turns and do you think that is what they teach little kids to do? She seemed sincere but ...

She also told me that they teach the kids how to surrender to the police: knell down with your hands on your head and yell I surrender over and over again.

Snorkeling is my favourite and yet most people, if they actually saw clearly what was in the water with them, would get out quick. Especially off the beaches up the east coast of Florida. In one foot of water I saw many barracuda.... In Hawaii I snorkled and the fish and coral and sealife was just incredible and within 10 feet of the shore. My honey and I were snorkeling off Grand Bahama back in the early 2000's and a remora tried to attach itself to his vulnerable area.... you would have thought we were being chased by a shark the amount the splashing and thrashing...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I've also swum in lakes besides Saranac Lake, which I mentioned above- specifically, Lake George, Lake Champlain, and another small lake in the Adirondacks. I think the scariest things I had to worry about were snapping turtles, but I've never heard of someone getting attacked unprovoked by one in the water. Then again, maybe Giant Water Bugs are called "toe-biters" for a reason... and once, when we were hiking around a small pond, we saw a big leech swimming along. I didn't actually swim there.

I haven't been to Hawaii, but one of my sisters was, and she said the schools of small fish were amazing. I don't know if she actually went swimming there, though.

It's kind of gross when you're wading in shallow water where the bottom is soft mud, though.

@SuicideBlonde I love manatees, but I've never seen one in the wild. During one of my Florida trips, someone told me I had just missed seeing one. I know it's against the law to approach a manatee even if they seem friendly, and that this is for the manatees' protection, but it would have been amazing to see one- even from a distance.

@Emma JC "...just when you thought it was safe to go into the water..." (the camera shifts to a remora's-eye view from beneath a swimmer)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
I just read an article in Top Sante magazine this month about wild swimming. It was about how lots of middle-aged women are taking up the hobby.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas