Why Your Body May Dislike Oat Milk

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Oat milk—especially the cult favorite, Oatly—is a hot commodity. Every time I stroll into my local coffee shop to order an oat milk-based beverage, there is around a 20 percent chance that the response will be: “Oh, I’m so sorry. We’re out. There is this massive national shortage and we haven’t been able to get any.” Dejected, I opt for some light green tea, a little disappointed I won’t get to enjoy that creamy, warming oat embrace.

Why Your Body Might Not Love Oat Milk | Care2 Healthy Living

Ingredients of Oatly:

Oat Base (Water, Oats 10%), Rapeseed Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphates, Iodised Salt, Vitamins (D2, Riboflavin and B12)
See e.g. Oatly Longlife Milk Alternative 1 Litre - Tesco Groceries

I don't see the emulsifiers and thickeners mentioned in the article.

This article sounds a little bit like scaremongering, but I haven't read it very carefully yet.

Oat milk—especially the cult favorite, Oatly—is a hot commodity. Every time I stroll into my local coffee shop to order an oat milk-based beverage, there is around a 20 percent chance that the response will be: “Oh, I’m so sorry. We’re out. There is this massive national shortage and we haven’t been able to get any.” Dejected, I opt for some light green tea, a little disappointed I won’t get to enjoy that creamy, warming oat embrace.

Why Your Body Might Not Love Oat Milk | Care2 Healthy Living
Then maybe someone knows why does my body dislike soy milk (while it likes yuba very much), plus, what about tofu in general,- it's not the best fuel for my stomach and guts.:iiam: :p

I did read that article, and feel it's another substandard article written by someone who knows little of her subject. The same can be said for most any food! Like when you read a list of foods that keep you from losing weight and they have like - oatmeal, think you're doing something healthy by choosing oatmeal for breakfast? Those instant packets have more sugar than most cold cereals! Yogurt- loaded with sugar and thickeners.
It's as dishonest as saying almond milk is bad for the environment because it uses so much milk, but neglecting to say how much dairy production costs!

There is organic plain oat milk like every other non dairy. Easy to make yourself (not that I have!)

Reactions: Val
Care2 has a LOT of poorly researched articles. I think most of them are based on the writers opinion rather than fact.