"Why do vegans eat fake meat?"

I find riblets from time to time, they're one of my favorite fake meats but I get sick of them if I have too many of them in a short span of time.

As for the fake tuna I can't remember what brand but there's a very good one everyone praises and which pretty much tastes like regular tuna. It's pretty spectacular.

I haven't seen the Riblets in any of my stores for at least a year.

I saw the riblets today. I didn't buy them though, just glad they're available.

Am I some kind of freak for being utterly repulsed by "fake meat" products?? LOL :bag: I mean, I'm very happy for others that there are these options, but personally, I want nothing to do with anything that looks like, smells like, tastes like, or has the texture of any animal flesh product.... :no:
Not a freak at all. People like what they like. I think I found the transition away from meat and fish easy because there were so many other foods I liked, but I did enjoy meat when I was eating it.

I'd think that going veg would be easier for someone who didn't crave animal foods to begin with, all other things being equal, but I don't know.

Last edited:
I used to see the riblets all the time. It's not like I really miss them. It's just nice to have another option.

I don't consider myself that into mock meats. I kind of go through phases. Right now I'm in the crumbles phase. Before that it was boxs chicken patties, which I prefer over a veggie burger. I'd rather eat foods like lentils and rice, pasta, tofu, vegetable curry stew with red lentils, nachos with refried beans and Daiya shreds, hummus and guac and salsa...those are my favorite foods.

I've probably eaten more processed food this past month than ever! There were sales on everything I wanted to try!
Gardien has Beefless tips that were weirdly much like sirloin tips. Don't think I'll get them again, but glad I know
Gardeins pork bites I liked a lot. Like a denser tofu and seasoned well
Of course their fishless fillets- again, I did not like fish fillets- but I like those a lot!
Gardein crabless patties- no! I did not like crab cakes, these taste what I remember them tasting like, and I don't like.
Beyond Meat beefy crumbles- loved them sauteed in a lasagna! Nothing I'd do often but come winter - oh yeah!
Beyond Meat fresh burger patty- loved it! i would put this in the going out to eat catagory. Just like a fancy restaurant overpriced burger. It is overpriced at regular price

Reactions: Dedalus
Not a freak at all. People like what they like. I think I found the transition away from meat and fish easy because there were so many other foods I liked, but I did enjoy meat when I was eating it.

I'd think that going veg would be easier for someone who didn't crave animal foods to begin with, all oither things being equal, but I dfon;t know.
surprisingly even though I was a huge meat eater, going vegetarian felt easy. going vegan wasn't as easy.
Beyond meat's burger is ridiculously over priced. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:
Beyond meat's burger is ridiculously over priced. I wonder why that is.

Oh it definitely is. Fake meat in general is really expensive, especially any that's good.

Just a result of our f**ked up economy and the fact that there's less demand, so the prices have to be higher for anyone to profit from it.

I used to get the MSF Riblets at Trader Joe's whenever I saw them. I really liked them. I stopped when my refrigerator/freezer unit died and I couldn't buy any frozen food for a while. Then I stopped going to Trader Joe's for a really long period of time. I imagine they stopped carrying them a long time ago, since TJ's tends to discontinue a lot of products after a while. (It's part of the culture of Trader Joe's that when you find something you really like there, stock up, and continue to stock up whenever you find it in the store, because it could be gone before you know it.)

Nope, not this vegan. I don't eat processed junk and most of the "fake meats" are made with soy, which isn't the best option for men. There are better choices and plant-based isn't the same as what I call Oreo-based, which is the starch eating, fake meat eating vegans. It's one thing to eat this junk once in a while, but if the fake meats are the majority of your diet, are you really eating healthier?

Nope, not this vegan. I don't eat processed junk and most of the "fake meats" are made with soy, which isn't the best option for men. There are better choices and plant-based isn't the same as what I call Oreo-based, which is the starch eating, fake meat eating vegans. It's one thing to eat this junk once in a while, but if the fake meats are the majority of your diet, are you really eating healthier?
Well, not all vegans are in it for health. In fact, since being vegan isn't just about what one eats, I'd say health benefits are a by product of being vegan.

Considering research proves soy consumption reduces prostate cancer?
The majority of vegan processed foods are still healthier than factory animals or dairy.

It's been years since I allowed myself to feel bad for being a junk food vegan. I'm not in this for my health, I don't have health problems except for maybe a little higher blood pressure than I should.

I'd argue as well that the majority of fake meats are actually fairly healthy if you pay attention to your consumption, same way as with real meat, but it almost doesn't matter really.

Thirdly - if you're in this for health you can say so without demeaning the people around you and being snotty and self-superior.

A couple of thoughts:

Have some of you read the ingredients and the nutritional info on a package of fake meats? (major, widely available brands). Consuming fake meats on a regular basis certainly is not healthy. Occasional consumption is not ideal, and is really a trade off of convenience.

On a number of occasions over the years, I've heard numerous vegans state that they didn't care about health, and that they were in it for the animals. But consider this, the healthier you are, the longer you may live, which means you'll have more time to advocate for animals.

Vegans in general (both inside and outside the community), are viewed as snotty and uppity - regardless of their motivations....

Abusing your body at 25 is usually no big deal, but you often pay the price beginning in your mid thirties...trust me.

Another potential member bites the dust...

A couple of thoughts:

Have some of you read the ingredients and the nutritional info on a package of fake meats? (major, widely available brands). Consuming fake meats on a regular basis certainly is not healthy. Occasional consumption is not ideal, and is really a trade off of convenience.

On a number of occasions over the years, I've heard numerous vegans state that they didn't care about health, and that they were in it for the animals. But consider this, the healthier you are, the longer you may live, which means you'll have more time to advocate for animals.

Vegans in general (both inside and outside the community), are viewed as snotty and uppity - regardless of their motivations....

Abusing your body at 25 is usually no big deal, but you often pay the price beginning in your mid thirties...trust me.

It really depends on the brands you buy. For example, here is a list of the ingredients for the Dr. Praeger's California veggie burger:
California Veggie Burgers - Dr. Praeger's Sensible Foods
INGREDIENTS

CARROTS, ONIONS, STRING BEANS, OAT BRAN, SOYBEANS, ZUCCHINI, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, PEAS, BROCCOLI, CORN, SOY FLOUR, SPINACH, RED PEPPERS, ARROWROOT POWDER, CORN STARCH, GARLIC, CORN MEAL, SEA SALT, PARSLEY, BLACK PEPPER.

And yes, you are at times trading convenience for health, but I'd argue many an omnivore does the same thing.
I make most of my mock meats, so mine aren't as chemical-filled as some of the other fake meats. I started making my own sausage and bacon because I didn't like all the stuff that was in the commercially made versions. I do care about my health, and that may have been my original intent on going vegetarian way back when, but learning about the horrors of the meat and dairy industries made going vegan a necessity for the animals and that remains my main motivation for it.

I also think viewing vegans as uppity and snotty is a defense mechanism of non-veg*ns who don't want to feel guilty about the animals they eat.

As FortyTwo said, there are ways to express your opinions without demeaning others. My mother always says you get more with sugar than you do with vinegar. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Dedalus and Andy_T
A couple of thoughts:

What PTree15 said, plus:

Most of us are old enough to make these decisions for ourselves, don't you think? After all, they affect only ourselves. Perhaps we should look over your shoulder and scrutinize and comment on your eating, exercise, sleeping, etc. habits. I'm sure that you would appreciate it just as much as we do.

This argument puzzles me every time I hear it. Even the most conscientious vegan among us is responsible, daily, for the deaths of animals. Some of us are Jane Goodall, who probably has a larger beneficial impact than her negative one. Most of us are not Jane Goodall.

Oh, the irony.

Are you really trying to say that you can stave off the changes that come with the years by eating right and exercising? I'd really like to see you provide proof for that.

At one time, I could pull an all nighter and function completely normally the next day, and go to bed at midnight that next day. I would do that 2-3 times a week, because I was carrying a lot of credit hours. Then, from one week to the next, while I was in graduate school, that became next to impossible. Likewise, at 61, I can still carry 50 pound bags of feed, but I have to pace myself. Those are inevitable changes that come with the years.

Health is a combination of the luck of the draw, gene-wise, and not being completely stupid with how you treat your body. If it were otherwise, there wouldn't be health freaks dropping dead before old age and alcoholics living to 90.

What percentage of people who post on here a couple of times stick around, even if they are greeted with nothing but hugs? Pretty damn low, I would say.

And also, again...the irony.

What PTree15 said, plus

Oh, the irony.

Are you really trying to say that you can stave off the changes that come with the years by eating right and exercising? I'd really like to see you provide proof for that.

What percentage of people who post on here a couple of times stick around, even if they are greeted with nothing but hugs? Pretty damn low, I would say.

And also, again...the irony.

I never claimed that I've never acted in a snotty and arrogant manner. As a matter of fact, my worst years were before the Internet, where I dissed people face to face without hiding behind the mothers' skirt of online anonymity. I like to believe I've chilled a bit since then, but at least I admit it. Some, however, are still in denial.

Boy, do I have to qualify everything? Of course uncontrollable genetic factors play into the equation. But you stand a better chance of maintaining the best health for your age by eating healthy. Many foods, like processed meats, for example increase your risks for developing unfavorable health conditions as you age. Go ahead and deny that...

I have never engaged in a pile on on VV of a new member unless they were clearly an omni.

The percentage who stick around is obviously low to begin with, so why make an effort to decrease that percentage further?