Health Issues Why Do People Still Smoke ?

I smoked for 22 years, and quit when I was 40. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It was so hard that when I finally quit, I knew I could never, ever have so much as a single drag ever in my life again.

That is certainly an achievement as you must have been really hooked after 22 years of smoking. Well done.

I'll give you a clue... when I smoked, if I was hungry and cigarette starved and somebody gave me just enough money to buy either food or cigarettes, I would buy the cigarettes and happily starve! After so many years of trying and failing to give up, I finally managed five years ago when I had to save money to visit Sweden the first time. I will never ever go back to it now I am finally free!

!

I've heard some woman who say they smoke because it helps them stay thin.

I never started smoking and i think i never will, as i'm aware of the fact that my father's death occured because of smoking, though all his troubles were the row of consequences, one after another. My acquaintances told me that the initial cause of cancer was not radiation at all (he was working as a defectoscopist in Izhora-Uralmash group facility). They said the real cause was cadmium(!), which is abundant in tobacco plants, because tobacco plants accumulate it from the soil when they grow. So, this cadmium from the sigarettes (and he smoked only "Belomor channel" even without filter:eek:) accumulated in his brain, and then was poisoning his whole body with the lymph, through the blood-brain barrier for many years. l wouldn't like to end my life like he did. Moreover, my both genuses of the family were not healthy, in general. I don't think it's all genetics' fault though. But just in case, i need to take a better care of my genes.:D This fact didn't stop me from being a heavy drinker. I stopped drinking booze completely only a year and a month ago. I can't say i wouldn't like to drink something malicious right away, but my liver won't thank me, i guess.:p My friend died of prostate cancer because he was smoking "Dallas" and "Black Peter" in enormous quantities.:tinfoilhat: He also was eating unhealthy, and he had had gonorrhea(!) many years ago.:bag: Considering what he had been telling me about all his complaints,- i suspect that gonorrhea hadn't been cured completely by soviet antibiotics, and that it triggered chronic inflammation, which triggered cancer. However, i don't think he wouldn't have survived if he was leading a healthier way of life.
So, this is what smoking does to people, and i'm aware of it. But booze is different: it has an appealing taste, and it's more difficult to ditch it before it's too late.:sigh:

Smoking dulls your taste buds and your sense of smell, so naturally food loses some of its appeal. It also will rev up your metabolism a bit. But I think that yes, substituting a smoke for a snack happens frequently - especially if you're an "outside" smoker, which I always was. I never smoked in the house and worked in a strictly no smoking office so that was outside too.

Smoking dulls your taste buds and your sense of smell, so naturally food loses some of its appeal. It also will rev up your metabolism a bit. But I think that yes, substituting a smoke for a snack happens frequently - especially if you're an "outside" smoker, which I always was. I never smoked in the house and worked in a strictly no smoking office so that was outside too.

That is also what I've heard. Smokers are also unaware of how they reek of stale tobacco.

There is that old joke ...

"Quitting to smoke? Not hard at all. I have done it at least 20 times"...

People (like me) still smoke because it's often a (near) life long habit, it's a crutch and it even has physiological effects many aren't aware of. For instance, smoking tobacco and alcohol go hand in hand for most people and anyone who has visited pubs on a regular or semi-regular basis knows that drinking people smoke more while they are drinking. This is because alcohol drains B vitamins and one of the ones that is immediately noticed is vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid. The body converts nicotine containing tobacco smoke/chew into small amounts of B3. I notice when I drink that I smoke more.

I've given up multiple times for short periods and even went for as long as a year once. Some stupid excuse or false sense of confidence for being able to do it occasionally (like when around other smokers) always seems to be my downfall.

People (like me) still smoke because it's often a (near) life long habit, it's a crutch and it even has physiological effects many aren't aware of. For instance, smoking tobacco and alcohol go hand in hand for most people and anyone who has visited pubs on a regular or semi-regular basis knows that drinking people smoke more while they are drinking. This is because alcohol drains B vitamins and one of the ones that is immediately noticed is vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid. The body converts nicotine containing tobacco smoke/chew into small amounts of B3. I notice when I drink that I smoke more.

I've given up multiple times for short periods and even went for as long as a year once. Some stupid excuse or false sense of confidence for being able to do it occasionally (like when around other smokers) always seems to be my downfall.

I would encourage you to try again. If you have gone for a full year without nicotine, it means that you can do if for good.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I quit smoking decades ago and never looked back. However, I can relate to Neko's difficulty. It was America's famous, and beloved author, Mark Twain that summed it up quite well.

“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.”

― Mark Twain