Whole foods holiday feast

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yikes --- It makes me think of last night when I attempted to watch A Christmas Carol (titled 'Scrooge 1951' on YouTube - full length movie) and I could not get past the part where he paid for the huge turkey to be delivered to the Cratchits -- the kids were literally holding the raw, dead turkey in their arms like a baby, moving it around 'n' stuff. :tired_face:

Last edited:
Yikes --- It makes me think of last night when I attempted to watch A Christmas Carol (titled 'Scrooge 1951' on YouTube - full length movie) and I could not get past the part where he paid for the huge turkey to be delivered to the Cratchits -- the kids were literally holding the raw, dead turkey in the arms like a baby, moving it around 'n' stuff. :tired_face:

:(

I don't have a problem with it looking like a turkey. This kind of product falls into what we might want to start calling Transitional Vegan Classic Meat Substitutions". Or something. Meaning it is for "beginning vegans", or proto vegans, or curious about vegans peeps. It goes into the same food category as plant milks, vegetable patties, meat-free sausages or hot dogs, etc. It resembles in some way a traditionally non-vegan food.

Later on, transitioning vegans may not even want it to look like a turkey or a hamburger or taste like chicken. But this type of product gets them over the hump.

And even some of us on vegan forums still enjoy the familiarity of using some fake meats in our recipes or the convenience of a "hamburger".

I bought a Field Roast Celebration Roast this year, too. Once sliced it looked a lot like turkey slices, too.

Reactions: Emma JC
I don't have a problem with it looking like a turkey. This kind of product falls into what we might want to start calling Transitional Vegan Classic Meat Substitutions". Or something. Meaning it is for "beginning vegans", or proto vegans, or curious about vegans peeps. It goes into the same food category as plant milks, vegetable patties, meat-free sausages or hot dogs, etc. It resembles in some way a traditionally non-vegan food.

Later on, transitioning vegans may not even want it to look like a turkey or a hamburger or taste like chicken. But this type of product gets them over the hump.

And even some of us on vegan forums still enjoy the familiarity of using some fake meats in our recipes or the convenience of a "hamburger".

I bought a Field Roast Celebration Roast this year, too. Once sliced it looked a lot like turkey slices, too.

I don't think those are good comparisons. Patties, links, slices and milks look like familiar products but in no way resemble a dead animal's legs. In fact part of the hypocrisy of meat eating is how nuggets look nothing like a dead chicken. This holiday roast is more in the neighborhood of a pig with an apple in his mouth or a fish head staring out from a plate.

I do agree though it's obviously for new vegans or curious people.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I don't think those are good comparisons. Patties, links, slices and milks look like familiar products but in no way resemble a dead animal's legs.

Oh. Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way.

But, wait! What about cookies shaped like animals. Or For God's Sake! Gingerbread Men??!!

Oh. Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way.

But, wait! What about cookies shaped like animals. Or For God's Sake! Gingerbread Men??!!

I once went off on someone on Pinterest because they were wrapping pork sausages in pastry that looked like pigs lol.

I'm fine with eating gingerbread men. They're just people ;)