Who/What influenced you to go Vegan?

I could give the long answer, but quite a lot is potentially NSFW, and I would have trouble sharing knowing women/children could read it other than as an extreme cautionary tale. I would post it in the Mens Health section once I get the privileges. Let's just say, I'm cured of multiple ailments, and firmly believe Veganism was said cure.

Last edited:
I've "told" this story so often that I actually wrote it down. I am not sure but I have probably posted it here somewhere too.

🍅🍇🍈🍉🍊🍋🍌🍍🍎

So … I’m pretty sure it was in 1999 or maybe 2000. PETA was suing the California Dairy Board over their Happy Cow Commercials. I’ll post one below. PETA was claiming false advertising.

I was house sitting my sister’s house. So I must have been on vacation myself. And she gets the paper delivered so I quickly got into the habit of eating breakfast and reading the paper. ( I did and do live in an apartment and can’t get the paper delivered to my front porch each morning.)

On the front page, just below the fold is an article about the law suit. And the author took issue with it. Most of his issue was that these are pretty good ads, entertainment wise, and PETA should grow a sense of humor. I completely agreed with the author.

The next day, in exactly the same spot, the author printed a retraction, an apology and a much longer news article.

It started off with the info that after publication he got a call from PETA. They asked him if they could explain their viewpoint, maybe over lunch (on them). So of course the reporter agrees to it. First off, Peta explains that his article was based on his opinion (that the ads were funny), therefore an editorial, and therefore should not be on the first page. The author recognizes and accepts this. PETA then goes on to say that there is a dairy farm just an hour away and they could go visit it. They’ll drive. So they all get into the car and drive over to a dairy farm.

PETA then explains that there is a law or maybe a restraining order, so they can’t approach the dairy farm but they can park at the edge of it and the reporter can get a good look at it from along side the road. The reporter gets out of the car, goes for a walk. The PETA people have already prepped the reporter on what to look for, feces up to the cow’s ankles, swollen and infected udders, and basically the sheer misery these cows are living in. But the reporter is not prepared for the stink. And promptly loses his lunch.

The reporter then writes the retraction, the apology, and another article about the dairy farm and the diary industry (facts and figures mostly supplied by PETA.) At the end there is either an address or a phone number for PETA’s local office. I called or wrote and got a free PETA vegan starter kit.

Now this was twenty years ago and I no longer have this article. I’m sure my imagination has filled in some gaps. Plus I have told this story enough times that I’m sure it has evolved in the re-telling. But I bet I have most of the facts straight.

Happy cow commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUgugXQKvI&list=PLHtB3Ap95lTISofbtD4t7dFwRFQ_y-wSb
Me and a good friend. 15 or more years ago, found a box of kittens put out in the street to be ru over. We took the kittens to the police, who said they'd put them down, and finally a PEztA shelter who would take them, I always remembered them fondly, and as an adult, I respect them more

Reactions: bEt and Lou
Me and a good friend. 15 or more years ago, found a box of kittens put out in the street to be ru over. We took the kittens to the police, who said they'd put them down, and finally a PEztA shelter who would take them, I always remembered them fondly, and as an adult, I respect them more
It really is sad people don't think about this suffering. I'm sure it wont be long and itll be apart of basic education, people will be made aware, you cant sweep this under the rug

Reactions: bEt
I had been trying and failing to e vegetarian for many years so it was something I wanted to do anyway but my encouragement came mostly from Ryan and Angie (Happy Healthy Vegan) on Youtube.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot I had already replied in this thread. :rolleyes:

From a young age I felt it was wrong to eat animals, but thought it was too hard to not eat meat. I had meat at most meals, and I loved mc donalds.
My sister showed me a slaughter house video when I was 16.
Sometimes I'd make it a goal to eat vegetarian or vegan but since I wasn't committed, I did end up eating a lot of animal products. I heard of the word vegan by that point because one of my class mates was vegan.
I worked at a pet store where sometimes people would ask for live rats to feed their snake. I had pet rats at home so it was hard on me. That forced me to think if im not ok with snakes eating live rats, then why do I eat meat? It might be neatly packaged but those animals still had to suffer for that.
There was a poll on a Toontown forum asking who's vegan or vegetarian, and that inspired me to give it a shot. After that poll I told my mom I was going vegetarian, then she just asked me to find recipes.

When I was born in 1942, my parents were already vegan and I am the 1st registered vegan from birth. And have remained vegan all my life. Because I was brought up from biorth, it was normal for me and I never questioned it. My father was one of 3 founder members of the Vegan Society and was it's 1st general secretary. Contrary to popular opinion he coined the name vegan when I was about 3-4yrs old. He contacted CA Ling who was the 2nd member of the 3 who agreed it sounded right. They then put it to D Watson who coined it as his own idea! Despite me being there at the time and looking at my dads notes at a later date, talking to CA Ling about it, and informing the Vegan Soc. of this they have refused to even to acknowledge my communication. Their historical records of those early days are innacurate about many things. I think I'm the only one left that was there at the birth of veganism and the Vegan Soc. If any vegan from birth is older than me and still around, I would love to meet them. jc

About 1978, while I was in the RCAF, I became a Buddhist. That changed my life in a couple of ways. One, I realized that being in the military was "wrong livelihood", and, two, I realized that eating meat was wrong. (The majority of Buddhists will try to weasel out of that last realization, but I couldn't.)

As soon as I was able to, I got out of the air force, and went vegetarian. I didn't even know that veganism was a thing, but when the Internet started up and forums became popular, I joined a vegetarian forum and learned about veganism. I went to a vegan conference in LA a couple of times and heard the bigwigs talking: McDougall, Esselstyn, Campbell. I have been vegan ever since.

They are. I did some research on this but I didn't know it wasn't Donald who invented the term until you came to this forum. Thanks for putting the record straight for us.
You're welcome. It's always annoyed me that the Vegan Soc. have never put the record straight. But then they're funny about the truth around that time. I met most of the early vegans, but they were all adults. Until I met Adrian Ling in the late 50's-early60's (can't remember when now!) I never met any other vegan children and to be honest I have never have met any others to date. I prefer to live the simple quiet life!

Just a fun topic of how it all started. I saw a post on Plant Based News knocking Freelee the Banana Girl which got a lot of flack from people saying Freelee got them started. Got me curious how everyone got here. 🤔

For me, I was diagnosed this MS. I didn't want to resign my life to a wheelchair and kidney-destroying meds. I searched until I could NutritonFacts.org. Micheal Gregor is my hero! 5 years symptom free! 👍

Notable mention, Freelee and Fully Raw Kristina. The three of them really got me started. 😁 And I couldn't be more grateful, even though I follow different YouTubers now.

I haven't really met many vegans in real life. But I have helped inspire my husband, brother in law, and best friend (and her family) to make the change. It's great to be inspired, and even better to inspire others.
Madelaine Petsch an actress definitely influenced me !

Over the years, I had attempted vegetarianism numerous times only to relapse numerous times. Various things pushed me down that path. Reading the works of Peter Singer (who isn't strictly vegan) opened me up to the concept of animal rights. The book "Fast Food Nation" revealed some of the practices of the meat processing industry, most of which did not appeal to me. Various documentaries and other books reinforced this. Becoming familiar with vegan options of fantastic global foods, such as Indian, Thai, Japanese, Greek and others also helped quite a bit, as being vegetarian on only an "American" diet wasn't too exciting, honestly (at least at the time). Having friends and significant others who practiced probably provided the largest incentive and motivation. I have had some good luck in the past to socialize with other non-meat eaters, which makes the process a whole lot easier. Those who have only, or mostly, meat-ending friends and family have a much harder time. After I became used to eating this way, it became easy to continue. So I have.

On another thread somewhere on here you will find a thread that discusses what being Vegan really is. It is not just a diet. It also covers the use of materials of animal or animal related origin. Veganism is more than just food. It's also a way of life and a philosophy. I know people turn to Veganism for many reasons and every little helps animals and our health, but to call yourself Vegan and still have clothes or items that are made from animal related substance in some way is not true Veganism. I have been vegan from birth, over 80yrs, (and the 1st Vegan baby from birth to be registered in the UK). It was almost impossible in the early days to avoid an animal related product when buying clothing. Nowadays it's easy, there are so many choices now.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
. It was almost impossible in the early days to avoid an animal related product when buying clothing. Nowadays it's easy, there are so many choices now.
That is a good point. We focus on food a lot, since most of us are re-learning how to eat! We take for granted all the choices we have with apparel. It is easy to forget that not too long ago, everything you could buy to keep warm was either silk or wool. Now hats, scarves, gloves, stockings, socks, jackets, coats, are all usually made of almost anything besides wool. Now, the wool substitutes are fluffier than wool, and the silk substitutes are 'silkier' than silk. Shoes and bags are largely made of synthetic materials, too, as the technology to manufacture those materials has improved so much.

Nylon wasn't even invented until 1935, according to this page:

Definitely makes it easier to make vegan choices.

Although a person can still run into surprises, like in this thread:

Last edited: