When vegans are mean to other vegans.

Flowrydabae

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
In my honest opinion, it is truly the most not nice thing I've ever seen. If a vegan is doing their own thing, you shouldn't be mad at them for just doing their own thing. If a vegan doesn't wanna protest against animal cruelty, I don't get why that is anyone's concern. Some people don't have time to fight and argue and be angry all the time. Some people are just vegan because they're allergic to animal products and just like fruits and veggies and nuts and such. They also just probably happen to wear faux fur and leathers because it's cheaper and hypoallergenic. Plus, maybe they just so happen to use vegetable soap instead of regular chicken fat soap because they like how it makes their skin look. And maybe they just so happen to not like having pets because they know the animals would be happier being left alone and not being used for entertainment of any kind. That should be enough for helping save the planet.

Some of us have jobs where we have to upkeep an image, and so we just keep our morals to ourselves and only talk about them briefly when it's the right time.

First off I would like to say that I hate the expression, "you're not vegan enough". I was actually called that on this site once and it really hurt my feelings. We are already a beleaguered minority. We should be sticking together.

I also would like to emphasize that there are some grey areas in the vegan doctrine. In fact, I don't even like the idea of a vegan doctrine. IMHO veganism is more about intentions than dogma. I strongly believe that each vegan should look at all the facts in order to choose how they feel about any borderline issue.

There is a school of thought that to be "truly vegan" you need to do more than just avoid animal exploitation. I can't remember which vegan "influencer" stated that you can't be truly vegan unless you protest animal cruelty. And although I understand that viewpoint, I don't always agree with it.

I know that some members here aren't going to agree with me here but, @Courtneyvictoria, I don't believe that persons who, " are just vegan because they're allergic to animal products and just like fruits and veggies and nuts and such", are really vegan. IMHO, veganism requires intention - conscious behavior. A person who Chooses to avoid meat because they will not support animal exploitation is vegan. A person who doesn't eat meat for almost any other reason is not.

For me, it is all about motivation. Veganism is an attitude that informs behavior. If you just believe meat is unhealthy you have no reason to avoid leather of furs. So the most important thing for me and assigning the vegan label is that the person has to have vegan intentions.

First off I would like to say that I hate the expression, "you're not vegan enough". I was actually called that on this site once and it really hurt my feelings. We are already a beleaguered minority. We should be sticking together.

I also would like to emphasize that there are some grey areas in the vegan doctrine. In fact, I don't even like the idea of a vegan doctrine. IMHO veganism is more about intentions than dogma. I strongly believe that each vegan should look at all the facts in order to choose how they feel about any borderline issue.

There is a school of thought that to be "truly vegan" you need to do more than just avoid animal exploitation. I can't remember which vegan "influencer" stated that you can't be truly vegan unless you protest animal cruelty. And although I understand that viewpoint, I don't always agree with it.

I know that some members here aren't going to agree with me here but, @Courtneyvictoria, I don't believe that persons who, " are just vegan because they're allergic to animal products and just like fruits and veggies and nuts and such", are really vegan. IMHO, veganism requires intention - conscious behavior. A person who Chooses to avoid meat because they will not support animal exploitation is vegan. A person who doesn't eat meat for almost any other reason is not.

For me, it is all about motivation. Veganism is an attitude that informs behavior. If you just believe meat is unhealthy you have no reason to avoid leather of furs. So the most important thing for me and assigning the vegan label is that the person has to have vegan intentions.
Yeah. If you're vegan off intentions then you're vegan enough. Also, it was probably Freelee from youtube who said that. And yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I said if they happen to use veggie soap because they just like it better and don't like having pets because they think animals aren't for entertainment, then that's enough to make them vegan. Thanks for understanding though, like, honestly. For real. You're my inspiration here.

• Love
Reactions: Hog and Lou
That's why I said if they happen to use veggie soap because they just like it better and don't like having pets because they think animals aren't for entertainment, then that's enough to make them vegan.

Well, i don't agree but that's ok

"I don't believe that persons who, " are just vegan because they're allergic to animal products and just like fruits and veggies and nuts and such", are really vegan. IMHO, veganism requires intention - conscious behavior. A person who Chooses to avoid meat because they will not support animal exploitation is vegan. A person who doesn't eat meat for almost any other reason is not."

@Lou, I agree with this so much, and it's why I never took any real pride in my vegetarianism... it was just a preference for me. Veganism was a choice and one that I've spent 20yrs trying to get right. I know a handful of people who call themselves plant-based eaters because they know that key difference is missing as well, and I respect them for that.

Reactions: Lou
There's not a wrong way to go about trying to be a better person. It doesn't matter whether you're more concerned with plastic in the ocean or the plight of laying hens. What matters is that you're doing something and you have good intentions.

I've never been a protester and doubt I will ever be a protester. I dislike crowds and confrontation... and all that energy wouldn't be good for my mental health. But, I'm careful who I give my money or silent support. Sweet Earth products may look delicious, but I'll forever boycott Nestle and anything I know they own. I do buy TOMS not only because they're vegan but also because they a charitable company. I've paid extra for leaping bunny products, supported CSAs, volunteered with and donated to no-kill shelters, helped trap wildlife for treatment and release, tried to reuse before recycling, and taught my children to share my compassion for animals and Earth.

Is it enough? Some people would say no.
It's enough for me. Ha! I should get bonus points for managing to recycle in the 90s in TN! That's got to be worth some sort of 'love the Earth' level-up. But seriously, you do you and try to be your best self. Worrying about some other vegan's opinion of what makes a vegan is pointless because everyone is going to have a different value system.

"I don't believe that persons who, " are just vegan because they're allergic to animal products and just like fruits and veggies and nuts and such", are really vegan. IMHO, veganism requires intention - conscious behavior. A person who Chooses to avoid meat because they will not support animal exploitation is vegan. A person who doesn't eat meat for almost any other reason is not."

@Lou, I agree with this so much, and it's why I never took any real pride in my vegetarianism... it was just a preference for me. Veganism was a choice and one that I've spent 20yrs trying to get right. I know a handful of people who call themselves plant-based eaters because they know that key difference is missing as well, and I respect them for that.
I think you're cutting out the rest of what I said. :/ I said if a person does everything I said in the OP but doesn't protest, then they're vegan.

I think you're cutting out the rest of what I said. :/ I said if a person does everything I said in the OP but doesn't protest, then they're vegan.
That was actually only a excerpt of Lou's comment and reply to him, regarding how his words resonated with me. Sorry for the confusion! My reply to you came later.

Sorry, I dont get it. I thought I was leading a vegan lifestyle but it turns out I’m not because I do not wear wool and feathers because I am allergic to them?
Wow.
I wouldn’t wear them anyway, I haven’t for years before becoming vegan but now this disqualifies me for some reason?

wow again

Sorry, I dont get it. I thought I was leading a vegan lifestyle but it turns out I’m not because I do not wear wool and feathers because I am allergic to them?
Wow.
I wouldn’t wear them anyway, I haven’t for years before becoming vegan but now this disqualifies me for some reason?

wow again
The point was made about not eating meat only due to having an allergy- not that you wouldn't be vegan otherwise
Kinda like if you avoided gluten doesn't mean you have celiacs

Reactions: MoreGreens