Wheat bran: good or bad?

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Some say Wheat bran bolsters digestive health by providing a good source of insoluble fiber, which can help prevent or treat constipation. It also acts as a prebiotic, promoting the growth of healthy gut bacteria. In addition, it's rich in many plant compounds and minerals and an excellent source of fiber.
The other side states Wheat bran is one of three layers of the wheat kernel. It's stripped away during the milling process, and some people may consider it nothing more than a byproduct. I don't have any health issues, thought about adding it to oatmeal & smoothies... Comments?

I think that the more types of fibre we get is a good thing. Personally I add ground flax meal to my oatmeal and to my smoothies - it is inexpensive as I buy it in bulk and store in the fridge. I also add red lentils to my steel cut oats and then sprinkle hemp seeds, turmeric/pepper and cinnamon on top along with the fruit and a few walnuts.

Emma JC

Hi zki,

Among the whole foods, beans and lentils have the highest fiber content.

1 cup of boiled lentils contains 15.6 grams of fiber.

In comparison, 1 cup of (also healthy!) boiled oatmeal contains 4 grams of fiber.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and zki
Wheat bran is great for those who tolerate it well. I've used it in the past but Fructans are not my friend. Instead, I use ground flax, chia and/or hemp seeds. Still, a half cup of wheat bran is a nice combination of minerals and protein that's also low calorie. I wouldn't use it exclusively, as I think mixing fiber sources offers the most overall digestive benefit, but I think wheat bran is healthy.

**The only reason I would be cautious with wheat bran is if you take medications/use substances that affect nutrient absorption or have consistently limited food intake, because wheat bran does contain a lot of phytic acid. Given it's form, I don't know if it could be soaked to reduce the phytic acid, if that's a worry for you. Phytic acid is a genuine concern for some and a reason to eye roll for others!

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and zki
Wheat bran is great for those who tolerate it well. I've used it in the past but Fructans are not my friend. Instead, I use ground flax, chia and/or hemp seeds. Still, a half cup of wheat bran is a nice combination of minerals and protein that's also low calorie. I wouldn't use it exclusively, as I think mixing fiber sources offers the most overall digestive benefit, but I think wheat bran is healthy.

**The only reason I would be cautious with wheat bran is if you take medications/use substances that affect nutrient absorption or have consistently limited food intake, because wheat bran does contain a lot of phytic acid. Given it's form, I don't know if it could be soaked to reduce the phytic acid, if that's a worry for you. Phytic acid is a genuine concern for some and a reason to eye roll for others!
I prefer ground flax as well. I haven't gotten into chia seeds, but I would like to give them a try at some point.

You're better off eating the bran with the rest of the grain- whole grain.
If you're interested get the book "Whole" by Colin Campbell.
I also add a Tblsp of ground flax seed to my breakfast, either a smoothie or cooked grain with fruit.
I like to make chia seed jam- just simmer berries, mash up well, and stir in chia seeds. It thickens really nice, and good to add to soy yogurt or cooked grains, or biscuits

🙄 https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/phytic-acid/

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks for the link. I did say that it's a subject that causes some to roll eyes.
Thanks for also confirming that, btw, the OP might not have believed me otherwise. As I'm not a nutritionist or aware of anyone's personal histories, I like to let people decide things for themselves. I hope your link is useful to the OP.

Reactions: zki
I use wheat bran and also wheatgerm for baking,yogurt, cereal and when making smoothies. It's packed with fibre and nutrients.

I particularly like apple & bran muffins. :)

Reactions: zki