Whatcha Eatin?

@PTree15

Bannock is awesome! My mom used to make bannock when I was a kid. My Canadian ancestors even ate bannock. I assume you made this homemade, as I don't recall seeing bannock in the grocery store or bakery?

I'm having some toast with homemade plum jam this morning, but my leftover pizza won't be far behind.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
@PTree15

Bannock is awesome! My mom used to make bannock when I was a kid. My Canadian ancestors even ate bannock. I assume you made this homemade, as I don't recall seeing bannock in the grocery store or bakery?

I'm having some toast with homemade plum jam this morning, but my leftover pizza won't be far behind.

Yep, homemade! I'm so hooked on it. It's so easy to make. And you can make single servings of it. I usually do two or three servings so that I have some leftovers.

Oh, it is Scottish. That is probably why it sounds vaguely familiar.

The Buddhist cafe near me closed down and reopened as a bakery. They do vegan sausage rolls and vegan cake. I just had a big bite of both!

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Bannock bread with raspberry jam and an orange.

so I looked it up and there are a few different recipes - some have sugar, some have melted butter, some have oil (or lard) - can you tell us what it in yours? you too, @Veganite - thank you

I am not sure what I am having yet - being Good Friday I think I would like something different that my noodley soup so maybe waffles and some smoky tempeh...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

so I looked it up and there are a few different recipes - some have sugar, some have melted butter, some have oil (or lard) - can you tell us what it in yours? you too, @Veganite - thank you

I am not sure what I am having yet - being Good Friday I think I would like something different that my noodley soup so maybe waffles and some smoky tempeh...

Emma JC
@Emma JC mine is a very simple recipe I got from a friend. Flour, salt, baking powder, a blend of nondairy milk/water and a drop of two of olive oil.

I typically use a cup of flour, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of baking powder, a 1/3 of a cup of nondairy milk/water and like maybe a teaspoon of olive oil at the most. If it's too dry, I add a bit more water a little at a time. I get three biscuits out of it. I work the dough just until it's smooth and not too sticky. Then I divide it into three pieces and shape them into hockey puck-like discs. Then I fry it on medium to medium-low heat in a little bit of canola oil, just enough to coat the pan. I use a cast-iron frying pan. Oh, and I heat up the oil/pan first. It's about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until each side is golden brown. I do test them with a cake tester, as the first batch came out a bit undercooked because I had the heat up too high. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Tom L.
A vegan sausage roll for breakfast. It is going to be very dangerous having a bakery so close to my house! I always used to eat a sausage roll when I was at university as they had a shop that sold vegan sausage rolls on my campus. I wasn't actually vegan back then, but I still ate one almost every day for 4 years! :drool:

@Emma JC mine is a very simple recipe I got from a friend. Flour, salt, baking powder, a blend of nondairy milk/water and a drop of two of olive oil.

I typically use a cup of flour, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of baking powder, a 1/3 of a cup of nondairy milk/water and like maybe a teaspoon of olive oil at the most. If it's too dry, I add a bit more water a little at a time. I get three biscuits out of it. I work the dough just until it's smooth and not too sticky. Then I divide it into three pieces and shape them into hockey puck-like discs. Then I fry it on medium to medium-low heat in a little bit of canola oil, just enough to coat the pan. I use a cast-iron frying pan. Oh, and I heat up the oil/pan first. It's about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until each side is golden brown. I do test them with a cake tester, as the first batch came out a bit undercooked because I had the heat up too high. :D

thank you so much!!

Emma JC

not feeling well, something in my chest... so am trying to eat lightly and not too much sweetness so likely steel cut oats with a larger proportion of split red lentils and no maple syrup... hmmm can't lose the berries or banana though

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven and PTree15
thank you so much!!

Emma JC
You're welcome!

I'm having a big salad with spinach, avocado, cabbage, carrots, onions, celery, dill pickles and vegan mozz shreds topped with a homemade dressing that I made just for this salad. I need to make a carafe of salad dressing.

ETA: I hope you feel better soon, @Emma JC !

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC
I have some nice fresh strawberries, so I'm about to make some steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. It's going to be tasty topped with fresh strawberries and hemp hearts and a touch of maple syrup. Yum!

Reactions: Emma JC