What supplements should i take ?

ski

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
when it comes to the vegan way of life we lack in some stuff my question is what stuff should i take to be on the safe side is there like 15 tables i need to take to not be deficient or is it just 3 or 4 at the most ?

supplement 1 = b12
supplement 2 = d

Personally, I just take B12 these days, nothing else. However, I do make sure I eat a varied diet of greens, grains, legumes, etc.

Reactions: ski and Lou
I take B12 and D3 (make sure it's vegan/lichen-based, most D3 isn't). Lou has mentioned Deva tiny tablets a couple times and I think I'll be trying those when my current supplements run out.

Reactions: ski and Lou
I still take my DEVA tiny tablets. I checked my nutrients intake with Cronometer a few times lately and it seems like I don't need them. But there is little to no risk to keep taking it - it's cheap and it's good insurance. Plus it has the B12 - and if I didn't take a multi I would have to take a b12 (and maybe some iron). So just trading one pill for another. (Although I saw these B12 at the Dollar Store that I would only have to take once a month or less. 10,000% RDA. A year's worth would cost $3 or less)

I take a big dose of Vegan D3 every day. This was recommended to me by my doctor years ago. I want to ask him next time I see him how by D levels are. I may not need that either. or maybe not such a large dose. If you aren't outside much D is a good idea. It may even be a good idea if you go outside every day- Lots of Americans (non-vegans, too) are deficient in D.

I also take an Omega 3. And according to ChronOmeter my intake of Omega 3 and 6 are still below the RDA. So that is still a good idea.

I have taken a probiotic but I'm not now. They are expensive and I'm not sure if they do any good at all.

Iron is an issue for many people. Even nonvegans. But too much iron is bad too. I've found that the DEVAs along with my diet meet my iron needs. Some multis have 100% of the RDA of iron. but I do not recommend those. A lot of vegan's favorite foods are good sources of iron. But the iron is not as bio-available as the iron in animal foods. Plus some of the foods we vegans eat interferes with iron absorption. So its probably a good idea to have a goal of over 100% with your diet or with your diet and a supplement. But if your stools turn black you are overdoing it. When you give blood they check your iron levels right in front of you. I always just barely pass.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Vitamin D is also thought to help with immune function and low levels have been linked to depression, so there are other reasons to take it beyond bone health.

I don't put too much effort into deciphering the science behind it all. Humans evolved near the equator being naked and outdoors around the clock...I don't get anywhere near that kind of sun exposure so my body isn't synthesizing vitamin D at the levels our bodies have evolved to expect. Dr. Greger has a video showing low vitamin D is associated with higher mortality, while high vitamin D is not, so a "better safe than sorry" approach seems reasonable.

Reactions: Lou
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Vitamin D is also thought to help with immune function and low levels have been linked to depression, so there are other reasons to take it beyond bone health.

I don't put too much effort into deciphering the science behind it all. Humans evolved near the equator being naked and outdoors around the clock...I don't get anywhere near that kind of sun exposure so my body isn't synthesizing vitamin D at the levels our bodies have evolved to expect. Dr. Greger has a video showing low vitamin D is associated with higher mortality, while high vitamin D is not, so a "better safe than sorry" approach seems reasonable.

Yes, I agree with that.

I take upon recommendation from my Doctor, 5000 IU. Almost 10x the RDA. but that recommendation is years old now. so I want to double check. Also, as far as I know, extra D is stored for later. so there may be no downside but the cost of the supplement.

I also spend some time outside every day. I am getting my annual physical soon so I will have my Dr. check my vitamin D levels. But the reason the Doctor (not the one I have now) suggested a lot of Vitamin D is that at the time it was thought to prevent colitis which is something I might be (can't remember the right word) susceptible to. But I read somewhere that that may have been just a guess.

Well it depends partly on how healthy your diet already is,and also depending on your age,it`s probably a good idea to take certains supplements REGARDLESS of being vegan or not.
My current supplements are-
B12-(Methylcobalamin)
Omega 3 DHA-(Or you can go the other route and take walnuts or chia or flaxseeds every day instead,and hope your body can convert it to DHA)
D3 - During autmn and winter,taken with Vitamin K2 MK7 and some ground pumpkin seeds for magnesium(Not had any colds/flus since I started taking this about 4 years ago)
Also I try to eat seaweed a couple of times a week to get enough iodine

Reactions: Sax and Lou
B12
Vegan D3
Vegan omega 3

Anything else, be wary of taking. At best, most supplements just turn into expensive pee; at worst, they contribute to poor health. Only take additional supplements with the guidance of your doctor or because of a deficiency (determined through blood testing - not by calculating how much you're consuming). Remember, it's not what you eat - it's what you absorb.

If you've changed your diet recently, it may be helpful to have a blood test to make sure your levels are all where they should be. If anything's out of place, you can supplement and/or alter your diet and re-test in 6 months. If all is well, then carry on with your diet and re-test in 3-5 years (a good idea for everyone, I think).

Reactions: Lou