What should I do with accidentally received non-vegan products

What should I do with non-vegan products I've accidentally received

• I SHOULDN'T give these non-products to non-vegan friends - I shouldn't promote non-vegan products

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

steve_the_kiwi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My work often sends out goodie bundles or food and drink to us. These often contain non-vegan things like cheese.

I've recently received such a bundle and am unsure about whether I should dispose of the non-vegan products or give them to carnists.

My two thoughts are as follows:

1) I SHOULD give these non-vegan products to non-vegan friends - the damage has already been done and by giving this feed to non-vegans I am offseting some of the non-vegan food they would have otherwise purchased.
2) I SHOULDN'T give these non-products to non-vegan friends - by giving them non-vegan food I'm promoting, on some level, that to eat these products is ok.

I can see arguments on either side but I'm curious to know what others think...

Reactions: bEt
To give them to non vegan friends etc or donate to a food bank is the way I would go.
What else can you do with them - throw them out ? ! Perfectly good food being wasted when
others are struggling to eat.

I'm sorry but in my opinion - to refuse to pass it on to someone in need just because it is 'non vegan' is
a form of 'judgement' against those people. In effect you are saying those people should not be eating
non vegan food - and that is something we have no right to do. Not everyone is able to go vegan.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and bEt
I'd say 1, but if at all possible, I would encourage the company to consider now vegan foods. One argument for this besides animal welfare and sustainability is that vegan foods tend to be more compatible with requirements of various faiths, lifestyle convictions and other diets. Vegan food also tends to be lower in calories, which is a good thing with regards to the obesity epidemic in some countries. It could be said to be part of the company's social responsibility to consider these factors.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Emma JC