What chemical stuff are there in non vegan food?

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
My commander and my father say there are chemical materials in vegan food. I can deal with explaining that vegan food is not that chemical, but they are still anti vegan. Therefore, I want to tell them what horrible crap they put in non vegan food(at least I heard that they put), so they will not talk about the “chemical stuff” topic ever again. I want them to feel as dumb as hell blaming vegan food for being “chemical”, while eating the most ”chemical” foods on earth. I want them to feel so idiot so they will have to hold themselves from not crying like little babies.

and I wanna explain for a sec what is their position. They mostly refer to vegan meat chesee milk and egg alternatives, because I’m in Israel and we have got a whole bunch of vegan alternatives everywhere. In the components of these alternatives, it’s often written a lot of materialthat I don’t know which is obviously bad and can be considered as chemical stuff. However, there are alternatives that don’t have these components at all, but it always says things like soy protein and bean protein. These components are usually one of the highest components in this products.

now I want to know what chemical stuff they put in animal products, and I would also want a way to prove it because these two are very skeptical.
Thanks so much

My commander and my father say there are chemical materials in vegan food. I can deal with explaining that vegan food is not that chemical, but they are still anti vegan. Therefore, I want to tell them what horrible crap they put in non vegan food(at least I heard that they put), so they will not talk about the “chemical stuff” topic ever again. I want them to feel as dumb as hell blaming vegan food for being “chemical”, while eating the most ”chemical” foods on earth. I want them to feel so idiot so they will have to hold themselves from not crying like little babies.

and I wanna explain for a sec what is their position. They mostly refer to vegan meat chesee milk and egg alternatives, because I’m in Israel and we have got a whole bunch of vegan alternatives everywhere. In the components of these alternatives, it’s often written a lot of materialthat I don’t know which is obviously bad and can be considered as chemical stuff. However, there are alternatives that don’t have these components at all, but it always says things like soy protein and bean protein. These components are usually one of the highest components in this products.

now I want to know what chemical stuff they put in animal products, and I would also want a way to prove it because these two are very skeptical.
Thanks so much
Hi Ohad,

It typically doesn't work to forcefully argue with people. When 2 people argue, the goal of the argument becomes "to win", rather than "to determine the facts."

Last edited:
Chemical stuff.

Well, if you talk to any chemist, including the ones who teach high school or college chemistry, they will be happy to explain that Everything is chemical stuff. Some of them will go on till your eyes glaze over and you fall down.

Water is a chemical compound - H2O. Salt is a chemical Compound - NaCl. Backing soda is NaHCO3. Sugar is C12H22O11.

All of our food is made up of different compounds. I think part of your father's and commander's confusion lies with what a chemist calls natural products. Those are the chemical compounds formed by a living organism (or nature or life).

But first off, not all natural products are good. The venom in a bee sting is a natural product. Many plants produce toxins to ward off insects and other predators. Nicotine that is produced by the tabacoo plant is a natural insecticide.

To further confuse the argument, a compound that can be found in nature can also be created in a lab.Most likely the vitamin C in your multivitamin was created in a lab.

And to blur the lines even further. Some natural products are made in factory like settings. Corn might be the best example of this. We turn corn into everything from High Fructose Corn Syrup to Ethanol.

The opposite of natural is artificial or synthetic. But thinking that all things natural is good and all things synthetic are bad is not only an oversimplification - but pretty much false. To harken back to two of my earlier points, nicotine is natural. And the vitamin C added to your multi is artificial. Vitamin D, too. Aspirin is artificial.

🌰🍋🍓🥕🧅🍅🍅🍆🍎

Synthesis.

This is the process of creating a new chemical compound. Both naturally or by artificial means.
A cow turning grass into milk (or meat), involves dozens (maybe hundreds) of different steps. Turning a soybean into soy milk is only a few steps.

And the chemical compounds in plant milk or cows milk are both long and complex. but both are mostly protein, carbohydrates, fats, and water.

🌰🍋🍓🥕🧅🍅🍅🍆🍎

Additves.

this is an even more complicated topic than chemical stuff. or maybe its the same topic. because additives are just more chemical stuff. Some natural and some artificial. You can add Vitamin C to food (its also a preservative). Salt is often added to food. Vitamins and minerals are often added to plant milk to improve their nutrition. Preservatives are often added to food. And colorings.

When you buy a container of milk you don't see any additives. but the cows feed have been supplemented. Frequently with B12, calcium and lots of antibiotics.

🌰🍋🍓🥕🧅🍅🍅🍆🍎

Bottom line

Not sure how you tackle this subject with your father and commander. Their understanding is just too simplistic.

I do have a good article for you to read tho.

Vegan foods are without animal products. That's it. There is no claim of health.
Omnivores can eat the same foods vegans. They eat produce too.
There are vegans who mostly subsist on processed foods, fried foods, sugars, and few whole foods.
There are omnivores who eat no processed foods, include a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds, They may even eat only meat that has been pasture raised.
Many of the processed foods vegans can eat, are also foods omnis eat. Soda pop.Cookies. All kinds of snack foods. French fries, Pies, cakes Margarine. Sugar.High fructose corn syrup

The vegan products that are being compared have their own meat based counterparts.
A processed vegan burger is comparable to a cheap fast food hamburger
Bacon, deli meats, all are processed with nitratese, artificial colors and preservatives

Junk food vegan = junk food omni
Wfpb vegan = whole 30 omni (currantly known as "pegan", look it up!)

You'll lose if you try and take this adversarial route, and in the process disminish their opinions of vegans even further.
Holier than thou leaves you lonely

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I'd argue that even "unhealthy" vegan food is still better than unhealthy non-vegan food. But hey no one cares how unhealthy you eat until you say you're a vegan, right? If I didn't have to be a health nut as an omni, then why do I need to be a health nut as a vegan?

I'd argue that even "unhealthy" vegan food is still better than unhealthy non-vegan food. But hey no one cares how unhealthy you eat until you say you're a vegan, right? If I didn't have to be a health nut as an omni, then why do I need to be a health nut as a vegan?
100%

I think a big factor in people saying vegan food is all 'chemicals' is because so much is called "faux","fake","imitation".Those words should really be replaced with maybe, substitute or alternative.