Literature What are you currently reading?

I bought the Lee Asher book. He runs a rescue centre in the US. Saved by the Pack - How 50 Dogs Helped Me Find my Purpose.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ewomack and Emma JC
Reading one of Kurt Vonnegut's final books, "Hocus Pocus," from 1990. It's set in a dystopian 2001 where a computer guesses your fate, surveillance is in full force and "inappropriate" thinking and speech doesn't go unnoticed. Some have called it his "warning" to people in 2026, but 1990 was a bit too early for the computer, internet, and mobile "revolutions," so it misses quite a bit, which is understandable. Still, it's proved a decent read. Neither his best nor worst book. I was a rabid Vonnegut fan years ago, but I've mellowed on him in later years. I've read all but 2 of his books (including this one), so I thought I would just finish them up, though it does feel a little late. My copy of the book came from a distant inter-library loan, stamped with identifying information from a library that exists maybe 4 or 5 hours away from me. One of the remaining amazing free services left out there.
 
I read another J.D. Robb called "Brotherhood in Death" which is another in the in Death series. I really love the characters in this series. This book was published in 2016 and the subject is currently in the news with the Cornell University scandal. A disturbing book about serial rapists.
 
I am not sure if someone here recommended it however I read Bloodlust by Sandra Brown - pretty intense and good, so thank you if it was you.

(the site is too slow right now to do searches)

EDIT: Also just reading another Ali Hazelwood - Below Zero - another shorter STEM novel about NASA / Svalbard which is cool as I watch a youtuber who lives there - which reminds me do you also get annoyed when an author doesn't do their homework? they refer to Svalbard having 5 hours of sunlight in February and because I've watched the videos I know that is not correct, the sun doesn't come above the horizon at all in February ... it is making not enjoy the book as much

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
 
Last edited:
I read "Somebody's Fool" which is the sequel to "Nobody's Fool". It takes place 20 years later and is about Peter, Sully's son and his relationship with his sons which pretty much mirrors his own with Sully. Though this was rather slow moving as it is not an action thriller, it was a really good book. Heavy on emotional relationships among family and couples and friends. Russo is a good writer though a bit "wordy." He goes deep into his characters feelings with humor and some sadness.
I was curious about the book he won the Pulitzer for, "Empire Falls", and found it was made into a mini series back in 2005. It is another story of quirky characters in a small New York town. I have watched part one. It stars Ed Harris, Helen Hunt, Joanne Woodward, and Paul Newman in what must be his last movie as he passed away in 2008. Other recognizable faces in it as well. It's another emotional ride through people's relationships with one another.