UK What Are the Responsibilities of a Support Worker

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I was reading something on Facebook where a woman, who owns a cat, has a support worker. The woman does not let her cat out after 9 PM. The support worker went against her wishes and let the cat out because she said not letting the cat out was cruel.

I’m curious about the duties and responsibilities of a support worker. Is this someone who is paid by the state/government or just a person pay for the work room selves.

I’m curious about the duties and responsibilities of a support worker. Is this someone who is paid by the state/government or does a person pay for the worker themselves? Does a support person have the right to override the wishes of the person they are supporting when it comes to something like caring for a pet?

Would this woman be within her rights to dismiss the support worker and request someone else? I’m curious as to whether or not the support worker overstepped her bounds. It certainly seems so to me but I don’t know if it’s different in the UK.

Yeah, it sounds like a home health aide. I don’t know how it is in the UK. I know if my sister’s aide did something like that she could have her replaced. I guess I’m wondering if it matters as to what type of support they are giving...like if a person has a support worker for a physical disability or possibly if they have some form of dementia. Maybe if the worker is there to help because the person doesn’t have full mental capacity, the worker may have more control? It’s horrible that she is letting the cat out.

Yeah, it sounds like a home health aide. I don’t know how it is in the UK. I know if my sister’s aide did something like that she could have her replaced. I guess I’m wondering if it matters as to what type of support they are giving...like if a person has a support worker for a physical disability or possibly if they have some form of dementia. Maybe if the worker is there to help because the person doesn’t have full mental capacity, the worker may have more control? It’s horrible that she is letting the cat out.
If the person was impaired that makes even more important that their 'support' is going against rules! Is there no one to advocate for this woman? She should be fired!
If she would put her agenda before the person she works for who knows what else she's capable of? Deciding what and when the woman should eat? the temp of her house?

I know. It’s very bothersome. I can’t get any more info either.

I was reading something on Facebook where a woman, who owns a cat, has a support worker. The woman does not let her cat out after 9 PM. The support worker went against her wishes and let the cat out because she said not letting the cat out was cruel.

I’m curious about the duties and responsibilities of a support worker. Is this someone who is paid by the state/government or just a person pay for the work room selves.

I’m curious about the duties and responsibilities of a support worker. Is this someone who is paid by the state/government or does a person pay for the worker themselves? Does a support person have the right to override the wishes of the person they are supporting when it comes to something like caring for a pet?

Would this woman be within her rights to dismiss the support worker and request someone else? I’m curious as to whether or not the support worker overstepped her bounds. It certainly seems so to me but I don’t know if it’s different in the UK.

I have worked as a support worker.:D I was paid by a charity.

The cat is considered the 'property' of the owner so the support worker had no right to let the cat out. If I was her I would say to the organisation/government/council that I want her replaced and make a formal complaint. If she is privately paid then I would get rid of her.

Reactions: KLS52