Weight?

Seb

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi guys

I've been transitioning to a plant based diet for the past few weeks but haven't switched to 100% veganism yet. I'd say I've been 80-90% vegan over that time.

What has surprised me is that I've not lost any weight at all, in fact I may have actually put a little on! Does it tend to take a while for the effects to kick in?

When eating vegan, my diet has been all whole foods (aside from the occasional piece of white bread), no vegan faux meats, processed snacks etc so I'm fairly confident that's not the issue. I can't believe I'm not eating fewer calories than before and I have a fair amount of weight to lose so this is really strange!

Is this a common thing people come across? Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
Seb

I didn't notice weight loss right away but after a month or two it started to show. I have yet to weigh myself but my clothes are definitely hanging off of me. I went completely vegan 100% and never consumed dairy, meat, or eggs again. I inadvertently ate some guacamole with sour cream in it once and paid for it. Mistakes happen. You just have to avoid eating things that "may" contain animal products. You might want to see if some of the assumptions you are making about food you don't prepare are actually correct. Conversely, you might want to see if a "loved one" is sneaking animal products into your diet. I would be more skeptical of my food sources if I wasn't losing at least some weight.

I didn't notice weight loss right away but after a month or two it started to show. I have yet to weigh myself but my clothes are definitely hanging off of me. I went completely vegan 100% and never consumed dairy, meat, or eggs again. I inadvertently ate some guacamole with sour cream in it once and paid for it. Mistakes happen. You just have to avoid eating things that "may" contain animal products. You might want to see if some of the assumptions you are making about food you don't prepare are actually correct. Conversely, you might want to see if a "loved one" is sneaking animal products into your diet. I would be more skeptical of my food sources if I wasn't losing at least some weight.
Thanks Plant Muncher!

I actually do all the cooking in our house so I'm happy enough that no animal products are sneaking in. I think it must just be a matter of adjusting to this way of eating as I can't think what else is going on!

Portion size is always a consideration. I think some people naturally lean towards smaller portion sizes while they are adjusting to vegan food. Once they adjust, they increase their portion sizes to what they used to eat when they were not eating vegan. I know I have. I don't count calories but I do not stuff myself either.

Hi guys

I've been transitioning to a plant based diet for the past few weeks but haven't switched to 100% veganism yet. I'd say I've been 80-90% vegan over that time.

What has surprised me is that I've not lost any weight at all, in fact I may have actually put a little on! Does it tend to take a while for the effects to kick in?

I can't believe I'm not eating fewer calories than before and I have a fair amount of weight to lose so this is really strange!
I can suggest 2 possible solutions.
1. Since you have "a fair amount of weight to lose" why not go on a vegan diet for a week or so? I suggest the Indian GM vegetarian diet, which is in fact vegan.
2. Plan a full day's meals (including everything) and count the calories. Eat the same food for 1 week and see if you're any lighter. You should not exceed 2000 calories per day if you want to lose weight. You would find it hard to eat more than 2000 calories of vegetables, I think.
Maybe there is too much sugar in your diet. Either of my 2 suggestions would address this issue and many others. A diet of Coca cola, beer and plant based donuts might be vegan, it is certainly not healthy. You need to count calories whether you're vegan or not.