We need advice! my wife is in bad shape

Mike177

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hello! I'm Michael and new to the forum. Gonna cut right to the chase! My wife's health has declined pretty bad and she is only 30! She has had neck isssues since 2017 and before that she was working out three to four times a week. Her neck and was causing her right arm to go numb and shooting pain in three of her fingers. She has been dealing with that since then. It got way worse in January, we took a weekend trip to Disney world and come monday when she woke up to go to work she was swollen in her legs and arms followed by pain in her legs. We have been to many different doctors and they are helping with the pain and finding out what is going on with her nerves. But the swelling will not go away, like, at all! So my question is can a vegan diet help with the swelling? I know there is no real quick aweser because of the complicated situation. I have heard about "miracle" stories where people have completely turned around their heath problems. Any answers, suggestions or even stories of other people in a similarly situation. thanks in advance! We are not sure where to turn at this point but something has got to give.

Welcome - I'm sorry your wife is going through so much pain. The symptoms sound scary, especially the swelling.

While I feel like a vegan diet has worked wonders in my life, I'm not about to suggest your wife make a change like that on my own evidence alone.

If you can guarantee she can do it HEALTHY - meaning eating whole foods, staying away from heavily processed junk (ie: Oreos are vegan), and make sure she's supplementing her B-12 and D3, I don't see how transitioning could hurt. Whole plant foods tend to be anti-inflammatory, so they could prove helpful.

However - I'm not a doctor, and I'm in doubt of whether or not other members on this board are, either.

I'm glad you're seeing a doctor. I would additionally recommend you ask your doctor for a referral do a good dietician who specializes in vegan food, if that's the route you'd like to try. I'd also suggest you ask for a referral to a physical therapist, at least to see what's going on with her neck. She could have some old injury from something that's creating issues as she's aging.

I hope you and your wife get some answers soon. Sending healthy thoughts your way.

This doesn't sound great.!

I haven't heard of anything about veganism related to swelling. This may have some other cause rather than animal products. You need to go to a medical professional!

Go vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, but not to stop swelling.

Best of luck to you both!

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
welcome Mike

As Kellyr says, none of us here are doctors, we do have some life experience amongst us all.

It would help inflammation, in her body, if she decided to eat a whole food plant-based diet with limited oils, salts and sugars, no downsides... not necessarily a cure, just a help. Something is causing the swelling and it is important to find out what!

As for her neck issues, Kelly had some good suggestions and I would also suggest trying to find an osteopath if there is one in your area. I am not sure where NEFL is so don't know where you live. I had a herniated disc in my neck a few years ago which turned my arm/fingers numb also and found a great clinic in Ottawa which was a sports therapy clinic and they have an amazing team there. The osteopath diagnosed it and turned me over to the physio and she had me fixed up within a couple of months.

Wishing good health for her, don't stop until you find out the source of the issues!!

Please keep us updated.

Emma JC

Hello Mike,

There is a medical support forum website that covers many topics:

Inspire.com

Perhaps someone there has a similiar experience?

I have a lot issues with my back and neck, and that's just an additional reason I choose to eat a vegan die, but I can not say whether it has been any benefit to me with the pain or flexibility. It hasn't made it worse. I have some numbness and tingling, but the pain is tolerable and infrequent. The only swelling issues I've had in any of my limbs were cardiovascular in origin.

I sincerely hope that you can find some help and that your wife will gain back her health.

Reactions: Mike177 and Emma JC
Aside from getting medical attention--
Ditch all dairy, sugar, processed foods, and really limit added oil.
Add tumeric with black pepper- golden milk, in smoothies, or just chug down in some water with a chaser (I really dislike the taste, but the golden milk or smoothie I can do)

I would suggest looking into Dr Michael Greger for nutrition guidelines. His advice is to always reach for the optimal, and I would say go big to really see the results rather than start slow.
Of course you should always discuss this with a doctor, unfortunately they're rarely knowledgable about nutrition, but even spices and other foods can interfere with medications, or give unexpected effects

Reactions: Mike177 and Emma JC
yes to the turmeric!!! I have some (mixed equal parts with pepper) pretty much every day and sometimes twice a day.

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: Val
Thank you for all the replies! We are going to Mayo Clinic. She is being sent to physical therapy for possible thorascic outlet syndrome. Northeast Florida is where we are located. She is having a test done to confirm it and if she does have it they well take out a rib. They have also suggested rheumatoid arthritis as the cause of her pain. I was just seeing if anyone here had similar problems and if a vegan diet had helped in anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: silva
thorascic outlet syndrome

how interesting, I had never heard of it before.... always be sure to get a second opinion before agreeing to such major surgery because when you google "thorascic outlet syndrome" you will find that physiotherapy may be of help and that surgery doesn't guarantee it won't return.... research research research!!

rheumatoid arthritis - is an inflammatory disease, which, along with all the other inflammatory diseases are caused by improper diet - animal products, excess processed foods, oils, sugar, salt - also if you both get started on a whole food plant-based lifestyle then any interventions that she does decide on will be helped by having a body that is much healthier overall

thank you so much for keeping us up to date and please continue to do so

Emma JC

They have been doing a whole lot of test before they even think about doing surgery. It is very rare so they are taking the time to make sure they are right. she will start physical therapy for it hopefully soon. This is the fourth Doctor we have seen and two of them suggested the thoracic outlet syndrome. There are many things going on here and I'm just seeing if maybe this would help. again, thank yall for time you took to reply.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
They have been doing a whole lot of test before they even think about doing surgery. It is very rare so they are taking the time to make sure they are right. she will start physical therapy for it hopefully soon. This is the fourth Doctor we have seen and two of them suggested the thoracic outlet syndrome. There are many things going on here and I'm just seeing if maybe this would help. again, thank yall for time you took to reply.
Has she been eating plant based?