We are on the up and up

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am totally intrigued by a breakfast cereal box.

The front of it boldly proclaims that Shreddies are forever vegan and always have been.
The back has a representation of almond milk being wildly splashed about the place and carries the caption “Proud to be vegan”.

If a huge multinational company like Nestle consider it advantageous to promote the vegan-ness of one of its products then this is surely evidence that we really are at last going mainstream.

We are in the ascendancy.

For the times they are a changin’. Bob Dylon.

Roger.

As of 2015, Nestle's cocoa providers were still engaged in unfair labor practices including many cases of using child labor and a few cases of forced labor (slavery).

There was a related lawsuit in 2018 so this kind of stuff may still be going on.

As of 2015, Nestle's cocoa providers were still engaged in unfair labor practices including many cases of using child labor and a few cases of forced labor (slavery).

There was a related lawsuit in 2018 so this kind of stuff may still be going on.

Oh the Nestle corporation is the business embodiment of Satan, many times over.

Still, vegan needs to be mainstream, I'll take whatever we can get until we can get rid of Nestle entirely.

Reactions: Lou and Jai
It is just a promotional claim by a corporation that they can make with little chance of a detrimental outcome the blurb might attract a few sales from the gullible, the majority of vegans will see it for what it is, and meat / dairy consumers wont take any notice and continue to use a product that for whatever reason they choose to purchase. So all in all they might gain some sales simply from a bit of cheap ink on a cardboard package.

Reactions: Lou
One of the big changes in recent times has been Streets Ice Cream (known as Walls in the UK). They have specifically created a new product range of Magnum ice creams that are vegan.

Alas since they are owned by the multinational FMCG company UNILEVER I don't think for a moment there is any ethical reasoning behind it, but instead to test a new market for increased profit.

Being vegan seems to have moved a long way from being about not harming animals. It's got mixed up with health and ecology and has become super-trendy. I wonder if people even understand the difference between eating vegan food and halal, I sometimes think not. So while it is good that the big companies are seeing a market for vegan products, it's sad that they do not promote the ethics behind it, or change all their products to vegan only. If the trend falls off then they will drop these vegan products from their range. Education is the only way forward, as it is not just about health and the ecology, animals are being used in testing still, and that won't be addressed by the health-conscious or climate change people.

@Sally,
one way of looking at it is thru the lens of "mindfulness". We, vegans, become more mindful of the products we buy - whether they are ethical or not. But I don't see it as a bad thing to become mindful of health or environmental consequences.

You don't have to be vegan to be boycotting palm oil or avoiding saturated fats. Or boycotting chocolates that are sourced out of West Africa. But just because you are vegan doesn't mean you shouldn't.

I've not heard anyone promoting the health benefits of vegan Magnum ice cream.

It is just a promotional claim by a corporation that they can make with little chance of a detrimental outcome the blurb might attract a few sales from the gullible, the majority of vegans will see it for what it is, and meat / dairy consumers wont take any notice and continue to use a product that for whatever reason they choose to purchase. So all in all they might gain some sales simply from a bit of cheap ink on a cardboard package.

I think everyone here is pretty clear eyed about corporate motivations for marketing to us. The point is that not so long ago we were too small of a market segment to be worth targeting...now we're not. Some of the biggest corporations in the world are looking at the trend line and taking notice, and their investments go well beyond a bit of cheap ink.

Y'all better get acquainted with Lord Nestle. It's been announced that they are selling off their meat product range, and Tyson are tipped to be the buyers.

Nestle are citing reasons of it's exit from the cold cuts market being "in response to a shift by consumers toward more plant-based alternatives as well as internal pressure from [shareholders] to boost returns".

Nestle don't care who they take money from. If they can fleece a whole new market (vegans) then that's just what they'll do. They may have moved on from the "Baby Killing Corporation" scandal from years passed, but the unethical practices remain, including:

Human Rights Violations: Failing to put an end to child labour in cocoa fields

Irresponsible Marketing: In a 2017 report, they were named as being in violation of the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes

Exploitation of Brazil: a 2016 investigation showed Nestle to be engaging in debt bondage, using deadly pesticides, poor work safety conditions with no protective wear supplied.

Control of Water Supplies: Nestle are staking claim to public water as a resource. Yet at the same time they aggressively push the promotion of bottled water (huge plastics problem). They are turning community water resources in to a profitable commodity.

Price Fixing in Germany: Nestle, along with Kraft, were fined $100million in 2013 for collusion in raising prices of their products.

Palm Oil in Products: Driving the Sumatran Orangutan close to extinction. Thanks Nestle !

I could go on, the list of criticisms is twice as long. They are a nasty, nasty corporation that don't give a crap about the environment, community or animals. And I would suggest that every other company in this market are as equally bereft of ethics.

Reactions: Lou

Hey OneWayVegan, thanks so much for adding to this discussion with a link to your video, offering entirely nothing relevant to the conversation.

I see it's only your second post ever on this forum, with your first post also being a link to the same video.

Keep up the compassionate consideration for all beings, bro !

/sarcasm

Hey OneWayVegan, thanks so much for adding to this discussion with a link to your video, offering entirely nothing relevant to the conversation.

I see it's only your second post ever on this forum, with your first post also being a link to the same video.

Keep up the compassionate consideration for all beings, bro !

/sarcasm

Use the report button if you find anymore posts similar to this, I think we're going to have to restrict web links for new members again. ?